Planting of Street trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgulick

Reaction score
My landscaper just planted 14 street trees for me and I believe he planted them to high out of the ground. All the research that I have done indicates that a tree should be planted no more than 2 to 3 inches above finish grade. Is this true and does it vary between trees? I believe he planted a flowering pair tree.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Mike

Two to three inches above grade is ideal. That said the pluses for planting high are these; usually the contractor over digs the depth of the planting hole by up to 12", so trees do settle after several waterings. And the nursery stock that I've seen over the past several years show signs of buried root flares, right in the root ball, by as much as 8".

So as the trees settle and you clear away the soil from the root flare your trees may end up at two to three inches above grade.

Other problems of newly planted trees can be read on the thread about burlap and twine under the Nursery forum.

Jay Banks
Certified Arborist
Urban Forester

Thanks Jay

I was a bit worried because he planted them around 8" above grade, But from your reply it sounds like they should settle right in. Thanks again, Mike

Mike,
It is better to start high than to have to build up an already planted tree.
Jay

Back