Planting trees near septic system - need advice on roots.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I want to plant some shade trees to provide some relief from the afternoon sun on our deck. I would like to plant some tulip poplars, maybe a red oak, or possibly even a red maple. I am looking for fast growing trees with deep root systems, but I don't want to plant something that will become a problem later on. I have two 500 gallon concrete septic tanks about 15 feet from the rear of the house. The lateral lines are further out in the yard, so I don't think they will be a problem. However, I am concerned that the root systems from the trees that I want to plant could encroach on the tanks or the sewer lines. Has anyone had experience with this? How close can I get to the tanks with the trees? I know that the old clay pipes were problematic with tree roots growing into them, but this is a newer house with the heavy (schedule 40?) PVC sewer lines. Can roots grow into these types of sewer lines?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Here's a thought, one 8" diameter tree has a root system that will cover 1/4 of a acre.

That said will tree roots reach your field or tank, you betcha. Will the tree damage your tank, probably not. Tree roots take advantage of moist, friable (loose) soil conditions. If your pipe is broken and leaking tree roots will grow there.

Latest posts

Back