Plasma Cutters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The big question is - what will you use it for?

I have a hypertherm 65 for 10 years now. It has never missed a beat. Just cut 5/8 thick steel with it this past week. Cut clean and controllable, not just severed.

I haven’t filled an acetylene tank in 10 years.

Over the years -- Rebar, roofing tin, Schedule 80 pipe, flat 1/4" trailer metal, mower deck support bracket, etc. Coming up I've some heavy gauge metal for a high-jack accessories I plan to make, that needs a lot of cutting -- probably more then I want to with my angle grinder. And I'm constantly looking to add more metal to my collection for projects yet thought of.

One thing I'm not investing in is tanks for cutting or welding. My Arc Welder is simple, and that's the way I like it.

Nothing wrong with a plasma cutter but a chop saw and a band saw would add much to your arsenal of cutting tools and do a lot of the heavy cutting. Used all three everyday in my fab shop along with my torches. Don't have to get real expensive tools for this, harbor freight cutoff saw or Portable Band Saw or regular band saw will work just fine.

A cutoff saw or band saws do have their places. Plasma cutters are not ideal in all applications, but is more adaptable to a wider range of cutting. Someday I hope to have them all, but today for the projects ahead the plasma is the answer.

I bought the big 10" throat production band saw for cutting things like 8" to 10" I beam for building Goose Neck Trailers and such. Set the angle, roll the beam in place and start the cut, while doing the cut go do something else. I use the Plasma cutters for steel plate and such, cutoff saw for small angle iron, rebar and things like that.

Nothing wrong with a plasma cutter but a chop saw and a band saw would add much to your arsenal of cutting tools and do a lot of the heavy cutting. Used all three everyday in my fab shop along with my torches. Don't have to get real expensive tools for this, harbor freight cutoff saw or Portable Band Saw or regular band saw will work just fine.
I was going to mention portable band saw, 44 or so inch band. (one you can get the "tires" and guide bearings for) What is the nitrogen for on some plasma cutter set ups or is that obsolete?

I've had a Chinese one for about six years or so, it's a multi function box ( Tig, stick, and Plasma cutter). It'll cut 1/2 inch, no sweat. Never tried the Tig function.

It'll run on 120V, but prefers 220V. It sorts the voltage out on it's own. No worries about "duty cycle" :). . Just change the plug end.

I run the Plasma on straight air from the compressor. I can't have the cutter and the ( rather big) compressor on the same 120V circuit, just pops the breaker when the compressor kicks in.

In the Winter, straight air from the compressor is fine, but, in the Summer, an air dryer is mandatory due to humidity. Run it on a humid day, with no air dryer, and it's snap, crackle pop.

So glad I sprang the extra bucks for a "pilot arc" model.... No worries... line up the work, and just pull the trigger... SWEET!!..

I've had a Chinese one for about six years or so, it's a multi function box ( Tig, stick, and Plasma cutter). It'll cut 1/2 inch, no sweat. Never tried the Tig function.

It'll run on 120V, but prefers 220V. It sorts the voltage out on it's own. No worries about "duty cycle" :). . Just change the plug end.

I run the Plasma on straight air from the compressor. I can't have the cutter and the ( rather big) compressor on the same 120V circuit, just pops the breaker when the compressor kicks in.

In the Winter, straight air from the compressor is fine, but, in the Summer, an air dryer is mandatory due to humidity. Run it on a humid day, with no air dryer, and it's snap, crackle pop.

So glad I sprang the extra bucks for a "pilot arc" model.... No worries... line up the work, and just pull the trigger... SWEET!!..

I'm back to doing some research. Opting for the "pilot arc", also known as non-touch, feature. Big advantage is it can pierce rust or paint, or just dirty metal with ease. Lots and lots of options out there, and as I suspect they are all the same within but differing by colors of paint on the exterior. Do I want the blue box or the red box? LOL.

Wha'd ya git? (?? link ??)

A lot of folks think plasma cutters are simple......sadly they buy junk and complain later

True. But a quality budget cutter can cost a 1/10 of a higher end unit. For the DIY guy doing odd jobs in the garage, the budget cutter will last a long long time, and you can buy 10 of them before having regrets. This is true about most things. We want it to work, and we hope it works for a long long time. And if it doesn't then replace accordingly.

I spent a mere $200 on my used Century Arc Welder and it has already paid for itself, I enjoy using it, and I expect it will outlive me.

Latest posts

Back