Plasma Cutters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got a Hypertherm 1250 g3 which is complete overkill for my garage these days but I use to make money with it back when I had a track burner. Sold the track system when I had big ideas of buying a cnc table but life and my full time job got in the way. I’m the guy all my buddies go to when they need the thick stuff cut ..lol I’ve cut a bunch of 1.5“ a36 with it and it’s never flinched even though that material is over its max capacity. All the cheap-o brands I’ve used have died when really pushed and I killed a supposedly high end Esab that was no better than machines 1/4 the price. I’m a loyal Hypertherm guy because I can get every part on my machine at my local weld shop and it’s never let me down even when I misuse it.

Like was said above, buy the best filter/dryer you can afford because no matter how much the cutter cost wet air kills their performance.

When it comes to tools, I do like quality. However for something like a Plasma cutter, I cannot justify 10* the cost for something that will be occasionally used and probably not heavily.

When it comes to tools, I do like quality. However for something like a Plasma cutter, I cannot justify 10* the cost for something that will be occasionally used and probably not heavily.
Most definitely , unless you’ve got money to burn a unit like my 1250 is ridiculous for home use. I was cutting fish plates and patch sections for a local heavy equipment repair welder , the side money made it possible to buy a $4K machine.

I got it off Ebay, but it was too long ago to still have the link in my account. It was ( is ), a Simarc CT520DP. It also has the connection for a foot pedal, so that you can goose up the power when striking the Tig arc, or while running the tig arc.. The pedal wasn't included, but is readily available as a standard accessory. The accessories and consumables seem to only have a couple of different specs.. Just like oxy acceteline gear.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_fro..._TitleDesc=0&_odkw=plasma+tig+combo&_osacat=0
Best I could do.. As you can see from that, the pilot arc isn't that common. Mine has a snap on two prong thingy on the nozzle, to keep the cutting head a bit away from the work. Line it up, put the tip protector over the starting line, and pull the trigger.. Away it goes. The "Simarc" line doesn't show up, but Vevor is a very similar product.
Truth be told, I think that they are all pretty much the same, just with different boxes..
I haven't read thru this whole thread, but all those "520" models actually do have pilot arc already built in, if you hear buzzing when the unit first starts, it's a pilot arc model, you just need to buy a pilot torch and connect the pilot lead to the earth terminal. super simple, did it to my unit and its the difference between a fiddly but nice tool and a great one.

Latest posts

Back