plastic chainsaw case repair help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nine6Teen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
the plastic hinge is breaking down. any suggestions on how to repair ? make new hinges from leather ???
IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

Maybe tool belt leather? i know exactly what i would use for it- round baler belting, but i dont know if that is available to you.

Stainless piano hinge and self tapping pan head screws or rivets. I have two done like this and the one is going on 15 yrs. The hinge is holding up and the plastic is one layer thick in places.

I have modified several blow-molded cases. Pop-rivets work pretty well, especially if you can get a washer on the inside. You could use them to hold on a metal hinge, or a strip of plastic cut out of a trash can; a strip of rubber cut out of a traffic cone, etc.

Or rivet 2 nylon straps around the body of the case, and latch them like an old, er, I mean 'vintage' suitcase.

Philbert

have done this, im a firberglasser/plastic fitter it will not last for long if used alot the piano hinge is the only real no maintenance fix.

I'm not arguing that at all. Though if you use the correct plastic filler rod it will hold very well, but only when done by an experienced plastic welder.

I'm not arguing that at all. Though if you use the correct plastic filler rod it will hold very well, but only when done by an experienced plastic welder.
that it will hold very well but the weld will be thicker then the origanal hinge the weld will not brake but it will where it joins to the box the weld will have thick and thin spots and the welds penitration will very as well wich inturn will make a poor hinge for long term use

that it will hold very well but the weld will be thicker then the origanal hinge the weld will not brake but it will where it joins to the box the weld will have thick and thin spots and the welds penitration will very as well wich inturn will make a poor hinge for long term use

Hence the need for a professional experienced plastic welder. :)
But the cost of paying someone versus DIY labor and parts versus buying a new or used one.......they're only $30-$50 at many more places than you'd expect. $40 at home depot.

Back