Plastic oil tanks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneB321

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Super 2 UT10653 with black plastic oil tank. A small crack has developed in the seam at the bottom of the oil tank. Any suggestions as to how to seal this effectively with glue, tape or try welding with solder gun? I don't know if the plastic is thick enough for the latter without doing more damage. Anyone know where I can get a replacement tank with tubing? TIA.

Yup, did that, got the part #. Just wondering if there was any way to salvage this one.

Sounds like a job for Phil Swift. Flexseal tape, it even works underwater.

I have a Super 2 UT10653 with black plastic oil tank. A small crack has developed in the seam at the bottom of the oil tank. Any suggestions as to how to seal this effectively with glue, tape or try welding with solder gun? I don't know if the plastic is thick enough for the latter without doing more damage. Anyone know where I can get a replacement tank with tubing? TIA.
try JB weld

As far as flexseal goes I'm not sure it would adhere to the plastic. Water is one thing but some of these plastics like polypropylene are particularly hard to glue and if a bit of oil gets under the tape I am afraid it would spread and loosen the bond.
With respect to JB Weld might be worth a try but again, even epoxies may not adhere to these plastics.
By the way, thank you all for your interest. I might try some of these things on an intact part of the oil tank to see if they adhere.

If it is polyethylene or polypropylene then thermal welding is probably the best bet. These are "low surface energy" plastics.

Devcon Plastic Welder bonds to plastics much better than most epoxies.

That sounds like it might be worth a shot. I'd like to find out exactly what type of plastic they were using. Maybe I'll give Homelite a shout.

Hey GeneB321 , I would try Seal-All that is gas and oil resistant . It is made by the same people that make ShoeGoo . Seal-All fixed the fuel tank leak on my Stihl FS80AVR trimmer .

Thanks scottr. After reading the reviews on this stuff it sounds like it might work. I'll give it a try.

Latest posts

Back