Play "How Much to Climb and Drop That Tree"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ductape

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've got a sugar maple in my back yard I've decided i want down. Its got some health issues with a bunch of dead limbs. I want the wood for firewood, and can / would like to be a groundie on tree removal day. I can get a couple guys to come over and help zip it up....... I'd just need someone to climb, limb, and get it on the ground. I'm not good at estimating heights, but maybe 60' tall and 32"ish around at the trunk.It would be easiest to get help on a weekend....... and it would be a cash money job.

July2008004.jpg

July2008002.jpg

July2008001.jpg

piece of cake.

i'd do all the lower limbs, then control-drop it in the same direction as the camera.

Last edited:
where are you?

looks to be nothing underneath it.

if you are near me i could come up and put it on the ground for a fair price.

all gear needed i have.

i can come up on a saturday if its not snowing because of plowing obligations.

you in?

Our local guy, he's done a few jobs for people I know so the prices he charges are reliably known. I'd say his estimate would be $2200.

$2200 to put that on the ground? Hmmmm....

Depending on the working area that isn't shown, I'd say that tree would take 2 hours to get down, 3 tops....

Now, if the job entailed full clean-up, and wood removal, then maybe that price would be in the ballpark....

My friend got quoted a job after the ice-storm. Maple tree hanging over his house, partially touching it. Not near as large or near as big as that tree but a lot more conseqeuences involved. He got charged 2500 bucks. They hauled the wood out and chipped out the small stuff.

piece of cake.

i'd do all the lower limbs, then control-drop it in the same direction as the camera.

That's the way it looks to me as well. Are we missing something the camera's not showing?

Where are you located in NH?

The more I'm looking at it, it looks like it goes straight towards the canoe w/o removing anything. You've even got a nice tree in that direction to anchor to...

i would drive up and put it on the ground..........

for 7 and a half bills.and i even have insurance.

Last edited:
I had a mature hackberry about that size...cost was $250. He used his bucket truck, no cleanup, one man and was done in 1.5hrs. This was 4-5 yrs ago. I will be calling him again for another hackberry so I will have an updated price.

Brian

Not much you guys aren't seeing. It would need to come down toward where I'm standing in the third (last pic) to avoid it falling across my neighbor's property. Not a huge deal, but the less of their lawn i need to fix the better. It does need to be trimmed some before its dropped to avoid hitting my neighbors maple (just to the left of me in the third pic) on the way down. I don't see any huge challenge....... but I'm willing to pay someone with more experience than I (i sure don't climb!). I'll handle all cleanup, as most of it will become firewood. I have some family stuff going on right now, but I'm looking to get it on the ground more sooner than later.

P.S. I'll take a few more current pics from all directions. And I'm in Tilton, NH

Last edited:
From my driveway looking north......

MapleTree001.jpg

Standing in my neighbor's yard looking east..........

MapleTree003.jpg

The tree at the tailgate of my dump trailer. The big maple beyond my wood pile needs to remain untouched, as its at least partially on my neighbor's property. My maple needs to go just left of the other big maple/ firewood pile.

Standing up by the new ranch house up behind us looking south toward my driveway........

MapleTree002.jpg

And in my other neighbors yard looking west.......

MapleTree004.jpg

MapleTree006.jpg

Note that in the two pics above, my tree (behind my trailer) needs to come toward the big maple closest in the pictures without (hopefully) damaging any of its branches. My tree does have somewhat of a natural lean in the direction it needs to be dropped.

Are we going to get pics of it being cut down?

Are we going to get pics of it being cut down? PLEASE

That thing has to be a million year old! ...or at least....??? what do you guys think?

Last edited:
my offer still stands.

i would climb it.nothing looks difficult to me.any excuse to get out of yuppie land works for me.

PM me if you're interested.

Back