Playing around at DustyTools' place (no pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Went over to Dusty's place to play around with saws today. He had a short 4 or 5 foot section of 17" Elm to make a few cuts on and compare different setups. I had my 041FB with Bailey's 3/8 LP ripping chain, he had his 041AV and 395xp with 404 chisel and his 084 with 3/8 chisel.

Figured out real quick that 17" was at the outer limits of what my 041 would tolerate. I think 14" is probably a more reasonable limit, at least in elm. I had a 20" bar on it and at the thickest point of the log, I had about 3/4" of bar protruding out the other side. His 041av with the 404 was considerably slower in the cut.

The 395 and the 084 were about neck and neck as far as speed in that log. It kinda surprised me. I figured the 084 would run away with it but not so in this instance. It might have been the chain, or it may have been one of those instances where you don't see the power difference unless you bump the cut up to 25-30" wide. It was fun running that huge saw tho..

After we finished, Dusty welded up a set of rails for me from Unistrut. I had them put together with long allthread, but I wanted to change it around and the allthread was in the way. We cut up another piece into sections and he welded them into a ladder setup.

Overall a nice afternoon. Thanks for having me over Terry.
Ian

You're welcome Ian. Its kinda fun to have someone over who enjoys saws and milling as much as I do. As far as my 041 with the .404 set-up being considerably slower than your 041 with the 3/8 LP set-up, well Ill have to say that "considerably" is an understatement. I will definitely be weaning all of my saws off of .404 in the near future. I fixed the pull rope on the 820 after you left. The big handle sure helps it out a lot, also remembered that I let it idle dry of fuel last time that I ran it, DUH, no wonder it wouldnt start.:laugh:.It was good having you here, come back anytime.:cheers:

I unpacked my truck when I got back and guess what was missing... the angle brackets for the end of the rail. :dizzy: I'll go get another set done up tomorrow. Cheaper than the gas to come get them. Maybe you can cut them down and use them on your rails if you like'em.

Ian

I unpacked my truck when I got back and guess what was missing... the angle brackets for the end of the rail. :dizzy: I'll go get another set done up tomorrow. Cheaper than the gas to come get them. Maybe you can cut them down and use them on your rails if you like'em.

Ian

I noticed that too. Ill hang on to them for you till next GTG, never know when you might need a spare set.

Latest posts

Back