Playing this weekend....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been non-stop working so much the past 2 months I've had little time for sawing/ milling. I finally had a little time yesterday to recover some blow down logs from a friend's place and play with my Dad's new mill for a few minutes. They're cell phone pics so the quality is lacking...

3 post oak, 1 red oak and 1 pecan log

attachment.php

milling

attachment.php

Once I have some time to run this mill some more I'll give a full report. For starters I'll say the manufacturers service is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. We are surprised that the mill even showed up. Initially, the deal looked good and the people were friendly and responsive. Dad placed the order (in APRIL) and supposedly it shipped but was vandalized (engine stolen) in transit. They claimed it would be fixed and shipped immediately but soon after they seemed to disappear. After weeks of no response Dad canceled the charge on his CC and gave up on them. The next week (mid August) the mill showed up but badly damaged and incomplete. To cut the story short... catching someone the phone is still hit or miss and very few of the many issues with the order have not been resolved. In the meantime, were going to get her going.

There are some features about this mill that I really like a few I don't. For the money, it looks to be a great mill to start with and upgrade as time permits if you don't want to start from scratch. It's unfortunate that their service has sucked as bad as it has otherwise I'd probably recommend them.

Details are forthcoming as time permits...

Last edited:
These guys don't realise a bad rep can spread fast. Interesting to see how she performs.

Details are forthcoming as time permits...

Looking forward to that... firsthand reports from guys like you go a long way compared to hype and fluff from ads and so-called customer reviews that the companies themselves massage and show you.

So... since your Dad canceled the cc sale... I guess you're getting a "free" trial for now. Good for you. Any company, especially smaller ones without the resources of bigger companies can run into genuine trouble. But the fact that the sale took so long, and that you say you can't reliably get a hold of them tells a lot right there.

Glad you finally were able to take possession of the mill. How did that pecan and post oak cut? Were you able to get straight boards out of it? That'll tell you a little about what to expect from the mill, especially if it had been down awhile.

What bands are you using?

Keep us posted.

I think this is a Quality Woodchuck

Made in Rome, NY. His experience doesnt speak hightly of the company. Ive been reading a lot on small bandmills and Norwood seems to have a very good reputation.

What is the brand name of the mill Aggie? Nice looking logs!

Woodchuck made by Quality Manufacturing

If someone is stealing the engine maybe that can be taken a good sign :hmm3grin2orange:

When you get a chance some close up pics of the mill would be good.
:cheers:

I did take a few others with the cell phone. Here's one of the cam action dogs. I like how they work but I'm curious as to how well they will hold up. The yellow bar on the right is an extension.

attachment.php

Looking forward to that... firsthand reports from guys like you go a long way compared to hype and fluff from ads and so-called customer reviews that the companies themselves massage and show you.

So... since your Dad canceled the cc sale... I guess you're getting a "free" trial for now. Good for you. Any company, especially smaller ones without the resources of bigger companies can run into genuine trouble. But the fact that the sale took so long, and that you say you can't reliably get a hold of them tells a lot right there.

I remains to be seen how the CC deal will shake out. The order is still incomplete and my Dad has not been contacted by anyone since he canceled it.

Supposedly the problems were a result of the company moving locations but I don't know how true that is.

Glad you finally were able to take possession of the mill. How did that pecan and post oak cut? Were you able to get straight boards out of it? That'll tell you a little about what to expect from the mill, especially if it had been down awhile.

What bands are you using?

Keep us posted.

We have only cut pine with it so far to break it in easy. I don't know what the band is that's on it but I have some lenox bands on order.

Made in Rome, NY. His experience doesnt speak hightly of the company. Ive been reading a lot on small bandmills and Norwood seems to have a very good reputation.

Norwood has a superb reputation and is a good sawmill. This mill had just a few features we liked about better and was quite a bit cheaper.

Quality Manufacturing is down the road from me. Is there something I can do to help? They were moving last winter from my understanding. I have had good luck with Lenox blades. You must of got a hell of a deal to ship that mill that far. Best of luck.

Quality Manufacturing is down the road from me. Is there something I can do to help? They were moving last winter from my understanding. I have had good luck with Lenox blades. You must of got a hell of a deal to ship that mill that far. Best of luck.

Thanks- I'll keep that in mind. I know they still owe us a box of blades and the battery was DOA.

The actual purchase was done through an Ebay auction and the final sale price was nearly $800 less than their list price. Shipping was only about $600 which was cheap compared to most other mills.

Amazing

Its hard to believe they shipped the mill, never got their money and never contacted you. Keep us posted as to what happens. I like the look of that mill.

Its hard to believe they shipped the mill, never got their money and never contacted you. Keep us posted as to what happens. I like the look of that mill.

Well, the CC transaction went through a 3rd party check cashing place or something like that. Quality has their money but someone in the middle doesn't. I wonder how long it will go before they try to resolve it.

My wife recalled at lunch today seeing a Wood Chuck ready to ship when we were there last spring. She thought it was odd it was hanging off a 4’ skid. For some reason I do not remember this, but know better to question her. They did not ship your father’s mill this way, did they?

For the cost of a box of Lenox blades and a battery you can get a around trip ticket from Houston to Syracuse.
The price for picking these items up your self would be priceless. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back