Please fill in the gaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bave30

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum so let me start by saying thanks for all the information I've gotten thus far. I've read a lot (most) of the chainsaw threads and feel like I've got a pretty feel for what's available. I'm in the market for my first saw and I tend to research A LOT, regardless of what it is. I've got it narrowed to a few saws in the 50-60cc range, which I'll be using for maybe 5-6 cords of firewood/year (you've heard this before), general use, and eventually to help clean up the parcel of land I hope to buy in the future. I've visited a few dealers with mixed results. The one I liked deals in Stihl, Jonsered and was at one time a Dolmar dealer (more on that later). After reading these threads and various brochures, I think I like the Dolmar 5100s, the Husky/Jonsered 353/2152, the Husky/Jonsered 346XP/21??, and the Stihl 290 or 310 for what I think I need. Now before you say it, I realize the Stihls I listed are consumer saws, but that's basically what I am and I've got to limit what I spend. I'm all for spending more for quality, but Stihl seems to jump up in price a lot more than the other brands. My understanding is that even consumer saws will last a lifetime with good care and the type of use I have planned. True? (The MS280 has a metal crankcase but without the vertical split, pro or consumer?)

Okay, this leads me to my first real question: Husky and Stihl offer the two lines (consumer and professional), what about Dolmar? I can't find any reference to a consumer Dolmar line. The reason I ask is that the specs and price on the 5100s (not to mention the rave reviews here) make it sound too good to be true. Even within Dolmar's line-up it seems too good to be true (why do they even make the 510?) I'm sure someone would have mentioned if the 5100s was a consumer saw, but I just wanted to confirm that it wasn't. Also, what are the long-term reports on the 5100s? Everyone was really impressed with it when it first came out. Still true? The other issue is the dealer problems. I've tried but have not yet been able to talk to anyone at Dolmar or Atlantic Power, Inc. about a local dealer. My local guy who was a Dolmar dealer hasn't been able to talk to anyone either so he doesn't even know if he's still a dealer. Crazy huh. I'm hoping that it turns out he is, but if he's not, does anyone know if there is a dealer in the Elmira/Binghamton NY area? I haven't ruled out the other saws, I just want to explore all my options. I haven't even ruled out forgetting Dolmar altogether if they continue to ignore my calls.(hasn't been long enough yet to warrant that).

Next question: in talking to the dealer and from what I've read, I get the impression that one of the differences between the 353 and the 346 is that the 346 seems to make most of it's power high in the rpm range, whereas the 353 has a smoother, more gradual power band. Don't know if I said that right, and I've never used either saw, but is that a fair assessment? If so, which is more suitable for what I want to do with it? Or is it just personal preference and someting you get used to either way? My first thought was that the 353 power delivery would be more forgiving for a relative novice like me (I've run my share of chainsaws but it's been a while). Then I saw and heard the video that people posted on the 5100s when it first came out and I KNEW I had to have that saw, or one like it. DAMN that was impressive. That was also the first time I ever thought that maybe getting a saw modded wasn't crazy afterall. That video will probably end up costing me lots of money.:)

Okay, 'nother question: is this size/class of saw a good one to leave room for future saw purchases? you see, I have a bit of a collecting instinct (nothing new with this group) but I also HATE too much overlap and I tend to keep everything. I can see myself with three saws in the future: the one I buy now, a smaller, top-handled saw and a monster of some kind. And probably whatever else you guys tell me I should have. :)

anyway, thanks in advance for the help. sorry for the long post and sorry If I've missed any answers to these questions in previous threads. it seems EVERY thread has mention of EVERY saw made in it. makes it hard to narrow down the searches. :dizzy:

Husky 353 for the new user . 346XP if your safety minded , can keep your chains sharp and can handle a faster saw.

Based upon your comments, I would go with the 353. Especially if you plan on getting some sort of kick *** monster at a later date...:givebeer: :chainsaw:

I would avoid a top handle saw (you mentioned a possible future purchase) unless you are a climber - they are more difficult to control and really not necessary on the ground...

Welcome to the site! :cheers:

Welcome, glad you found us.

My saws are the Stihl 200T (2), Husky 346XP (2) and 372XP (4). Both of the 346's and 2 of the 372's are modded, a third is at Ed's now getting built. I have run the 5100 but prefer the feel of the 346.

Rspike said:
Husky 353 for the new user . 346XP if your safety minded , can keep your chains sharp and can handle a faster saw.

No problem keeping the chains sharp. As far as handling a faster saw, I don't think I've ever used a fast saw. I cut quite a bit of wood with my dad's older Craftsman but I don't think that qualifies as fast. I would respect any saw I used of course, and wear PPE. On the other hand, I'm not in a hurry so I guess I don't really need a screaming saw. Hard to resist though............

pbtree said:
Based upon your comments, I would go with the 353. Especially if you plan on getting some sort of kick *** monster at a later date...:givebeer: :chainsaw:

I would avoid a top handle saw (you mentioned a possible future purchase) unless you are a climber - they are more difficult to control and really not necessary on the ground...

Welcome to the site! :cheers:

thanks for the welcome.............good to know about the top-handled saw. I 've never used one, so I don't know how they would feel. Just threw that out there thinking it might fill a niche later on.

The 353 seems to be the favorite so far. It was the first saw I singled out too. It's hard to ignore the MS290 though. It's got more power on paper and the weight doesn't concern me that much. Is the 353 worth the extra money in your opinion, considering how much I'll be using it? I'm all for paying more for quality, but it looks like I might get less performance too?

thanks for the help.

bave30 said:
No problem keeping the chains sharp. As far as handling a faster saw, I don't think I've ever used a fast saw. I cut quite a bit of wood with my dad's older Craftsman but I don't think that qualifies as fast. I would respect any saw I used of course, and wear PPE. On the other hand, I'm not in a hurry so I guess I don't really need a screaming saw. Hard to resist though............
The difference going from the craftsman saw to a 353 will be " great saw , good quality , built well" . <P> Now going from the Craftsman saw to the 346XP will be " WOW! , Holy $hlt! , What a difference , Now thats how a real chains saw runs". :)

skwerl said:
Welcome, glad you found us.

My saws are the Stihl 200T (2), Husky 346XP (2) and 372XP (4). Both of the 346's and 2 of the 372's are modded, a third is at Ed's now getting built. I have run the 5100 but prefer the feel of the 346.

thanks Skwerl..................what are some of the differences in feel you've noticed between the 346 and the 5100? Just curious.

Rspike said:
..........Now going from the Craftsman saw to the 346XP will be " WOW! , Holy $hlt! , What a difference , Now thats how a real chains saw runs". :)

yeah, that sounds good.

I would throw in a vote for the MS310. I really like mine. Cuts any wood out to about 30" thick, with a 18" bar, with no problem. Cut only oak so it gets a lot of work. Use it to cut big rounds down to something I can move around and get on the splitter.

Hal

Two small gaps....

bave30 said:
the Husky/Jonsered 346XP/21??
The corresponding Jonsered is the 2147. As far as I know it is not sold in North America......
bave30 said:
Next question: in talking to the dealer and from what I've read, I get the impression that one of the differences between the 353 and the 346 is that the 346 seems to make most of it's power high in the rpm range, whereas the 353 has a smoother, more gradual power band.
One more difference is that the 353 has a decomp valve, and the 346xp not.

I have a 353, and with sharp(?):hmm3grin2orange: 95VP chain it is a fast and smooth saw in the wood I usually cut - less than 16" birch.

thanks for the replies. sounds like the overwhelming favorites so far are the Husky 350 and 353. Haven't heard much feedback on the Dolmar 5100s. Has anyone heard how these saws are holding up? Any issues I should worry about. I read in a thread that there were some carb issues but I believe those saws were modified.

This would be my first post to this site. It seems like a great site. I use a 290 and it seems to be a decent saw. I would not rave about its power but it is what I thought it would be. It currently runs .325 on a 20 inch bar with no problems. I also run a Makita 520 and a couple of 540s. These run full 3/8 on 18 inch and 21 inch bars. These are older Dolmars. My thoughts on these are about same. The Makita's only problems have been anti-vibe mounts. The Stihl's only problem has been clutch drum bearing.To get parts for the Makita's I have to mail order. To get parts for the Stihl's I drive down the street, place an order and wait a week. My dealer has most common parts on hand. I have not had to wait for bearings. Gasket sets , some carb kits, sprockets, and some other parts have to be ordered.

Last edited:
Dolmar makes some good stuff, although there seems to be more than a few complaints about parts availability and service...

I prefer the Husky models mentioned with regards to balance and I like the way the handles are set up - just personal preference I suppose...:dizzy:

Jim Mesthene said:
The 350 was built with you in mind. It is indistinguishable from the 353 except by a Pro, the price is right.

I agree with Jim. We can become saw bigots on this site! :)

Latest posts

Back