Please help me identify this tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen some big ones

Definitely looks like the cherry trees we have on our farm and we recently had 2 fall from wind that are in the 18" range. There are many others like them still standing.....good wood!!

I was walking in the woods the other day looking for deadfall and came across this long straight tree. There was so much brush and other foliage around it I could not see any leaves from this tree.

It is possible to identify the tree type by the bark?

2355258278_ed1efdcdbf.jpg

2354425351_7ba48ea1b5.jpg

Anybody know what it might be?

Wild cherry is my guess. Black cherry has rough bark with the longitudinal markings.

thats a breed of tame cherry.Yall probly call it something else out west,but here we call it Pin Cherry.Do the birch trees out there have a wintergreen smell? Wild cherry here can get over 3 ft in diameter.Makes good wood,smells good when ya burn it.Not the best coaling wood,but seasoned it burns hot.

Well I am not sure how much different the birch smells from yours or if it is wintergreen smelling. I have only been exposed to Birch tree's in Norway and here in NW Washington. They smell alright, bot alot of smell to them though. Nothing like this cherry or cedar.

By the way, I found a cedar that looks to have been downed for several years that the outer edge was starting to rot a bit. I cut into it and damn! I could smell seasoned cedar from a mile away it seemed. So I cut several thin cuts for salmon planks. I can't believe how potent the smell is :)

Last edited:
Sumac came too my mind too. I think it is too big for sumac after seeing the photo of the tree with a 5 gallon bucket.

Latest posts

Back