please help ms 310 muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newwoodguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone this is my first post on this site. All of the reading I have been doing is great stuff! My question is I want to mod the muffler on my new ms 310 the only thing I have not read much about is how to get the baffles out of the muffler. Can anyone help me with this? I was planning on drilling holes in the plate to let more exhaust out, but I read that getting the baffles out of the way helps even more to wake up the saw. Thanks for the help.

Don't bother with the baffles, just bypass them by drill a hole in the dimple area on the front cover. KISS rule.

Timberwolf thx for the advise, but could you explain why it would not benefit to take out a few baffles. I thought the more and faster the air could leave the saw the more speed and power you would get. I know I will have to adjust my carb as well. Thx again.:chainsaw:

You could but don't need to on that design, opening the end of the baffle up by drilling a hole in the dimple just makes the baffle into a bit of a header pipe. Cutting that muffler up to get the baffle out is just not worth it when there is an easy way to solve the problem. 361 muffler on the otherhand, yes that basket needs to go due to the way it forces exhaust to the front then through a restriction the size of a ball point pen on the way around to the back of the muffler before the exhaust can exit.

On other designs like the 660 the basket is not formed in part by the front cover so some or all of it needs to be removed before mods to the front cover will have their full potential.

Back