Please help this guy out, lost chainsaws...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earache

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know that there is a specific place for lost/stolen equipment, but not many people view there. So, I am posting it here and on the chainsaw forum as well, really just trying to help this guy out. I know that there is NO way that I could afford to lose one saw right now, much less 3 of them!!! I copy/pasted this from local Craigslist. Thank you.

Chainsaws lost - $1 (Stratford)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-01-14, 8:52PM CST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lost 3 chainsaws on Hwy V going south of Spencer Thur. Jan 13. Two 372 husqvarnas one 460 stihl . Call 715-687-4713 Thanks

I know that there is a specific place for lost/stolen equipment, but not many people view there. So, I am posting it here and on the chainsaw forum as well, really just trying to help this guy out. I know that there is NO way that I could afford to lose one saw right now, much less 3 of them!!! I copy/pasted this from local Craigslist. Thank you.

Chainsaws lost - $1 (Stratford)
Date: 2011-01-14, 8:52PM CST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Lost 3 chainsaws on Hwy V going south of Spencer Thur. Jan 13. Two 372 husqvarnas one 460 stihl . Call 715-687-4713 Thanks

Man that really sucks, wish I could send him a couple of saws, but I only have one that is actually usable. :(

"Poor guy" my big fat hind quarters. He did not put the tail gate up and he lost $1000 worth of chainsaws, key phrase being "He did not". If he gets his saws back I hope he has at least learned a lesson. I can not tell you how many $10 gas caps I have lost laying them on the roof of the vehicle, but never anything of any real value.

i have thought about this a lot... i used to put them on top of the wood stacked in back of the truck.... i have a job coming up twenty miles from home... i am thinking of building holders on the racks for three saws and fuel cans etc. so i can strap them individually to make sure i am not this guy...lol

He did not put the tail gate up

I'm skeptical of that even. Heck, I could drive around all day with the tailgate down and not lose a saw.

IMHO, he either left them sitting somewhere they could slide off (tool-box, on the tail-gate etc) or he left them sitting up someplace high where they could roll/fall off (sitting on top of stacked wood etc).

I would have thought that being worth the kind of $ those 3 saws would be, that he would have at least tied them on to something fixed to the truck .Or. to be really sure against loss/ theft keep them in the cab

I would have thought that being worth the kind of $ those 3 saws would be, that he would have at least tied them on to something fixed to the truck .Or. to be really sure against loss/ theft keep them in the cab

+1

I have one mid-range saw and I don't make my living with it, but I wouldn't ever leave it unsecured, because when I do need it, I NEED it.

-Sean

I really didn't expect the bashing. Any way that it happened, sucks. I was hoping that by posting it on here that someone local may have some info on the saws that may help the guy out...

I really didn't expect the bashing. Any way that it happened, sucks. I was hoping that by posting it on here that someone local may have some info on the saws that may help the guy out...

The next bozo I see on the highway with an unsecured load is going to be reported to the Mo. Highway Patrol. *55 on my cell.

wow....... you must be perfect...... just remember what goes around comes around.

I heartily agree! You be sure to watch out for step ladders, coffee tables, couch cushions, spare wheel/tires, concrete blocks etc.:sword:

How do you think you would react to some c$%p falling into your path at 55mph in rush hour traffic and no way to dodge it? What's your plan?:biggrinbounce2:

I was not bashing I can feel for the guy, But if you tend to neglect looking after your kit it`s a bit OTT to expect to have someone chase about to recover some thing that should not have been lost in the first place ,& before any one says I`m bashing again [ I wonder how many times the guy had done the same thing & got away with it] I hope he gets them back although I fear they will not be much good if they have bounced down the highway at 50 orso mph

I heartily agree! You be sure to watch out for step ladders, coffee tables, couch cushions, spare wheel/tires, concrete blocks etc.:sword:

How do you think you would react to some c$%p falling into your path at 55mph in rush hour traffic and no way to dodge it? What's your plan?:biggrinbounce2:

55 mph?!?! Jesus, everyone and my grandma drives at least 70 mph up here on our highways...

Anyway... Nancy... what's the fastest you've ever gone? :)

My plan is to mind my own Biz...... if somebody loses something from thier truck and it damages my vehicle then i will take appropriate actions. Its a Karma thing if your not a cop then you shouldnt act like one..... thats all im saying.

A few weeks ago I was following a pickup with a cap but no hatch (he had the tail gate up) that was jammed full of wood. He aped up to beat a yellow light and a well used Husky came flying out the back and bounced to a stop right in the middle of the intersection. Being the first vehicle in line, I jumped out and grabbed the saw and part of the handle that popped out (didn't break) and wondered what to do. The truck had kept going fast up and over a hill. I ended up pulling over in the parking lot of a local burger joint and put the saw on my hood, facing the road. I thought I would list it on Craigslist lost and found but thought I'd wait. I was about to leave 20 minutes later when he showed up and was very grateful. I gave him a bit of a hard time about not securing his saw which I doubt he'll forget to do. My point is, sure he made a mistake, but I've been known to make a mistake or two, so if it was me I'd hope someone else would return them as well. Not sure about Karma but there are plenty of lessons that apply.

A few weeks ago I was following a pickup with a cap but no hatch (he had the tail gate up) that was jammed full of wood. He aped up to beat a yellow light and a well used Husky came flying out the back and bounced to a stop right in the middle of the intersection. Being the first vehicle in line, I jumped out and grabbed the saw and part of the handle that popped out (didn't break) and wondered what to do. The truck had kept going fast up and over a hill. I ended up pulling over in the parking lot of a local burger joint and put the saw on my hood, facing the road. I thought I would list it on Craigslist lost and found but thought I'd wait. I was about to leave 20 minutes later when he showed up and was very grateful. I gave him a bit of a hard time about not securing his saw which I doubt he'll forget to do. My point is, sure he made a mistake, but I've been known to make a mistake or two, so if it was me I'd hope someone else would return them as well. Not sure about Karma but there are plenty of lessons that apply.

You did the right thing. :) Good to hear he got a little scolding too... :laugh:

Back