Please Help A New Climber Out With Basics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not exactly familiar with the terms "sit back", remember I'm a new guy. So hopefully crotchclimber was able to answer that for you. What I would like to say about the device though, it's SUPER simple for a beginner to learn on. I was hoping to try it out with the foot ascender today. But that isn't going to be an option as we're getting flooding rains right now.

My only concern or question is, what would be a good back-up device. What would you guys suggest for a back up device. Yesterday I was using a tether hooked to the hand asceder. When I got done ascendin, I would then hook my safety lanyard up and disconnect the hand ascender. Should I be using anything else for a back-up? Am I okay for ascending being strapped to the pretzl zig zag and the hand ascender, or do I need to add some kind of locking device to my belt for example, that will lock and back up the above two devices?

I'm not exactly familiar with the terms "sit back", remember I'm a new guy. So hopefully crotchclimber was able to answer that for you. What I would like to say about the device though, it's SUPER simple for a beginner to learn on. I was hoping to try it out with the foot ascender today. But that isn't going to be an option as we're getting flooding rains right now.

My only concern or question is, what would be a good back-up device. What would you guys suggest for a back up device. Yesterday I was using a tether hooked to the hand asceder. When I got done ascendin, I would then hook my safety lanyard up and disconnect the hand ascender. Should I be using anything else for a back-up? Am I okay for ascending being strapped to the pretzl zig zag and the hand ascender, or do I need to add some kind of locking device to my belt for example, that will lock and back up the above two devices?
You only need a backup if you're using a saw. In that case, your lanyard. No need to attach to ascenders when you're on the zigzag. Only slows your work down.

Gotcha. I didn't know how much trust to put in the device. I figure tying in somewhere else while climbing would be a good idea. It's not that I don't trust the Device, it feels very secure. It just seems like I've always heard to always be tied up in at a second point. I figure by simply attaching a locking pulley device that clipped to my waist, it would ascend when ascending and be a back-up fall device until lanyard in. But the down side, as you mentioned. It will take longer, having to unclip it and clip it.

So I found the product I was trying to think of for having a back-up way to tie myself in while going up or down. Looks like it would be minimal hassle compared to the hand ascenders or foot ascenders. It seems like you can rappel smoothly on the zig zag and this device will allow you to go up or down. It just won't allow you to go down full speed. Think it would be a good idea for a new climber to take extra precaution? Especially until I get to my destination and get set-up with a lanyard as a back-up.

ASAP LOCK

I've never used a backup with the zigzag or an ascender with it either, just reach up and grab the rope above it and lift your weight up then tend the slack if it doesn't self feed through. Tending the slack is very inportant, if you don't and you slip, you will fall till the slack is taken up and then you'll shock load your entire system, anchor point and maybe damage your back. Practice pulling up and then holding the rope with one hand and tending the slack through the bottom of the zigzag with your other hand.
Once you've nailed this its worth getting some sort of friction saver as an anchor point, it makes moving up and around much smoother and consistent, saves a lot of energy.
Zigzag with ART ropeguide, retrievable from ground and can also can be securely choked off mid stem without needing a fork
1d61af3281eca7f222f1e8df24618d61.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The "sit back" is the annoying loss of progress that the tied prusiks tend to give you, takes a tied prusik a couple few inches to really cinch down, which in turn is a couple few inches you have to drag yourself up again.

Gotch, I know exactly what you mean by sit-back now. It's been pouring down here, but when I start practicing with it again, I'll let you know on the sit-back. From what I recall though, it grabs pretty instantly.

Gotch, I know exactly what you mean by sit-back now. It's been pouring down here, but when I start practicing with it again, I'll let you know on the sit-back. From what I recall though, it grabs pretty instantly.
Sit back is not something I've ever noticed with a zigzag, pull the slack up from underneath and it grabs instantly

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I'm going to keep this brief. 10 years of Landscaping, with approximately 20-30 tree jobs per year. Many were small, some were 50+ trees. I've read books and studied both arboriculture and tree care. However, I decided I enjoy tree work and want to take tree work from about 5% of the company to about 99% of the company. So to get series, that means making changes to insurance, learning to climb, and getting ISA Certification.

I'm business minded, obviously I have a short-term plan, long-term plan, and marketing plan, with written steps of how I'm going to achieve these goals. ISA Certification should be a cake walk from all the studying I've did and what field experience I have. However, I've been working off the ground for all of these years. Pole Saws, Chainsaws, Ladder with a lanyard.

The problem.

I'm a hands on type of learner. I learn best, by teaching myself in action. This is kind of hard to do with learning to climb, because you have always remember, safety before anything. Which slows down the learning process for me quite a bit. I have to calculate and recalculate every move I make until it's natural to me. I've tried watching videos on YouTube, but most are not clear or move to fast for me to soak the steps in.

So I'm here to ask you professionals for help if your willing to help a new guy with the basic climbing and safety.

I currently have:

A Desire To Learn
Professional Climbing Rope
A Saddle
(3) Mechanical Ascenders (2 hand, 1 foot)
Lanyard
6 ft. 10 mil rope
Throw Weights
Helmet

I still need throw line and decenders, which aren't a big deal right now. I want to take it a step at a time, I'm only going to the first two strong branches as I learn, where I can easily jump down.

Where I'm stumped:

I get my climbing line over the first branch. Obviously with saddle on, I attach foot descender on right rope, hand ascender on right rope, and hand ascender on left rope. I then attach my saddle to the climbing ascenders by attaching a 10 mil rope with locking carib. I know I also need a second connection, but like I said, I'm not going to but the first branch, so I'm trying to learn how to asscend using these mechanical ascenders.

1. So when I try to ascend, it seems as if the left over rope needs to be tied off. Do I need to tie this off to the tree or hook the ends to my saddle?

2. The only way I've found to be able to ascend is use the hand ascenders to lift up, while pulling weight off the foot ascender. Then pulling the slack out of the foot ascender (which is impossible for me to reach.) So how do I avoid having to pull on the line coming out of the ascender and going to the ground? Is this where the micropulley would come in handy?

I appreciate the patience for anyone willing to help!
I have been doing tree work all my life besides some industrial climbing and the marines. An experienced hand goes a long way and start small and learn your knots. Caribs, webbing, and a good rope guy will make you an old climber. Look up local arborist community and go from there. I'm from Madison, VA surrounded by tree guys and stole real tree experts. I started climbing full time at 17 but I had some well experienced teachers I'm a fifth generation wood chuck and still taking arborist classes. Knowledge and proper equipment will save your life and knowing your knots is gonna make you or brake you. Good look friend and love the tree life.

Back