Plenty of big pecans for milling SW Houston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made it back out to the site again today with another AS member. Between the 2 of us we bucked at least 50 logs ranging from 12" to 50". I worked a deal out with the contractor to load them onto 18 wheelers for me. It should save us quite a bit of money over hauling them ourselves because it costs us $100 in fuel round trip and a truck can carry 4x as much as we can.

The killing fields...

attachment.php

A bigun'...

attachment.php

The arsenal...

attachment.php

I might try to go back for this one. Not very long but over 6' in diameter. It would be awesome if it is solid all the way through. The top shows no sign of rot.

attachment.php

I now have another project saw.... my 084.:( The saw quit right at the last few inches of the cut in the pics and wouldn't restart so I finished with my 066. I pulled the muffler cover today and found a broken ring along with a destroyed jug and piston. I can't really tell what went first or what caused it yet. I'm sure the guys on the chainsaw forum can help if I get pics up.

Just frustrating I tell ya...

DOH!!! That sucks. This was stage III modded, right? Lots a dough in that one.

I might try to go back for this one. Not very long but over 6' in diameter. It would be awesome if it is solid all the way through. The top shows no sign of rot.

Just out of curiosity's sake I put it in the log weight calc. Guessing 5' length it came out to over 9000lbs. Yikes!

Where's the top of it?

Ian

attachment.php
Wow... this is one I might try and take a cookie from, and either make a cut to start it, or try and dry it so it does have only one opening. Then I'd thickness it and flatten it, put in one of those knockouts bridging the crack and somehow mount that monster on a wall of a den or someplace. An example of what I'm talking about is this willow cookie I did up years ago, this one is only 24 inches in dia, but you get the idea. I just think that would be an awesome site taking up the better part of a wall. Of course, not everybody would share that... the wife might not agree with ya. :cheers:

willow.jpg

I think that I am going to have to go out and buy a Ferrari!

(Not that I can afford one but isn't that what you do to compensate for big wood envy!):biggrinbounce2:

Nice loads/logs Aggie, that should keep you busy for a little bit anyway.:cheers:

Great use of resources too, dump trailers are quite handy, fast too.

What a awesome thing, couldn't go to more deserving guys I wished that stuff happened around here, I guess its true what they say about things in Texas they really are bigger!! I can't wait to see it slabbed out bet theirs some beautiful grain in there!! Congratulations!!

Man..i thought i scored big with that cypress! WOW!

At least i got to play with a big deere skidder...me likey skidder. :chainsaw:

So aggie... got a time frame in mind here? Even if you could mill every single evening and every weekend, looks to me like you're looking at many months of busting those monsters into manageable cants with that huge csm of yours, and then milling umpteen thousands of bd ft on that bandsaw you just bought. Plus we're not talking easy stuff here like pine or poplar, we're talking Pecan. :cheers:

So aggie... got a time frame in mind here? Even if you could mill every single evening and every weekend, looks to me like you're looking at many months of busting those monsters into manageable cants with that huge csm of yours, and then milling umpteen thousands of bd ft on that bandsaw you just bought. Plus we're not talking easy stuff here like pine or poplar, we're talking Pecan. :cheers:

Ain't skeerd!

:)

Most of this stuff will be going to the big LM3.:rock: That mill can bust down a 36" log without batting an eye.

Last edited:
Back