Geography and the law of supply and demand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Merry X-mas and Happy New Year to all......

I love where I live....can't think of anywhere else I would rather...like most of us - but damit:bang: why can't I have some "free" pecan, hickory, basswood, Magnolia??? and some of that crazy hard Aussi wood???? Why?? All I see is free white oak / red oak / walnut / cherry.... All I have is pine:cry: doug-fir:mad: red cedar ...oh wait a little birch:). Agghhhhhhhhhhhhhh:censored:

Geography is a great thing (some times) - its cold and snowy here right now but I can fly somewhere warm (go check out a BIL mill), I like navel oranges out of Florida in December and it seprates us from people we don't like. But it also seperates from the things we want but can't have. You all have what i want - lots of supply...lots of demand - why can't this work.....

Anyone making their to beautiful BC this summer? Let me know - I'll pay for a tank or two of gas (plus some of the afore mentioned tree species above and below).

Went by an old golf course between Richmond and Sugarland (Texas), just southwest of Houston. Aggiewoodbutchr and I picked up a pecan trunk from this same place about 2 months ago.
Anyway, they have 3 BIG backhoes in there knocking down the big old pecans and have applied for a burning permit (which has not been granted yet.) The super there says help yourself, work safe, and stay out of the way of his workers and the equipment.
There must be 200 pecan trees there ranging from 16" to 72" diameter. :jawdrop: Average size is probably 24'" to 32" at breast height.
Anyway, going back there to get more turning wood tomorrow, but if you want some wood to mill and can get there, pm me for directions.
Rich S.

"have large oaks, Hickory, and some of the largest Magnoilia I have ever seen, as well as Basswood...."

Happy New Year

RPM

One of the things I like about the Midwest is a decent selection of hardwoods. I can find big walnuts and oaks pretty easily. I've found a couple of decent cherry trees, and some/a lot of hedge, mine for the taking.
I've got a guy with a bunch of black locust free for the taking.

Variety is the spice of life. All I need is time.

Mark

Did someone say Red Cedar? We get a little Cedar here- but they're anorexic....

Dang Floridahhhh topography.

I'm in the heart of the Indian River Citrus groves, so when you come bring a Cedar Log and and and I'll send you home with a couple of tanks of go-juice, some bushel bags of Navels and Tangerines, grapefruit, and one each of those Bass wood, Mags and Hickory.

Im in a hammock- so my logs are usually straight up, no branches, and way taller than its cousins living in different micro climates. The Live Oaks are thirty to fourty feet before they spread their horizontal branches.

One mans trash is another man's treasure. I belonged to an organization that collects species of wood like others collect coins, called IWCS. Got an email from a guy in Australia that wanted a "rare indigenous to the US species called liriodendron tulipifera". That's common tulip poplar here in the east. I emailed him back and said gosh how many thousand bd feet of that "rare" stuff do you want? They sell that stuff in every big box lumber store here!

I'm sure mixed in with all this is the notion that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Like others have posted though, I love where I live here in the NE US (PA) because of the diversity of hardwoods AND softwoods in the forests here. Can't get mesquite like those in Texas... can't get madrone like those in the northwest, can't get some of the interesting tropical hardwoods that grow in the Florida swamps, but we do have most major hardwoods in plentiful supply, as well as most of the major softwoods.

One mans trash is another man's treasure. I belonged to an organization that collects species of wood like others collect coins, called IWCS. Got an email from a guy in Australia that wanted a "rare indigenous to the US species called liriodendron tulipifera". That's common tulip poplar here in the east. I emailed him back and said gosh how many thousand bd feet of that "rare" stuff do you want? They sell that stuff in every big box lumber store here!

I'm sure mixed in with all this is the notion that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Like others have posted though, I love where I live here in the NE US (PA) because of the diversity of hardwoods AND softwoods in the forests here. Can't get mesquite like those in Texas... can't get madrone like those in the northwest, can't get some of the interesting tropical hardwoods that grow in the Florida swamps, but we do have most major hardwoods in plentiful supply, as well as most of the major softwoods.

I couldn't agree more.

yeah..no lie...want some pine?

the tree is redder on the other side of the pond? I'm still thinking about that big redgum...boy that would have built a pretty little guest cabin out back...

and new decks for thirty of your closest friends....:greenchainsaw:

yeah..no lie...want some pine?

the tree is redder on the other side of the pond? I'm still thinking about that big redgum...boy that would have built a pretty little guest cabin out back...

and new decks for thirty of your closest friends....:greenchainsaw:

It's funny, with the CSM, I consider softwoods kind of a waste of time. Not that I wouldn't cut one up, but if I could get an oak or a walnut instead, you know were I would go. If I wanted to do some milling and a decent sized somewhat clear pine showed up, I would certainly not let the opportunity pass.

Mark

It's funny, with the CSM, I consider softwoods kind of a waste of time. Not that I wouldn't cut one up, but if I could get an oak or a walnut instead, you know were I would go. If I wanted to do some milling and a decent sized somewhat clear pine showed up, I would certainly not let the opportunity pass.

Mark
oh heck no...I was out cutting on that pecan and the lady's brother showed up..seems he is about to have five or six big pines taken down, gonna cost him 1100 bucks and he has to dispose of them...<G> this is where i come in...sure I'll haul 'em off for ya...tell the saw guy to drop the trunks in eight or ten foot sections and I will be right there..<G> would've offered to down them, but I will not do a large tree that might turn dangerous...the tree guy has insurance and a license (I hope) but I will sure take the wood...

I do so want a big walnut to play with...I want a walnut top corner bar for my living room...:cheers:

Mark
Clear older growth furniture grades of pine like sugar pine, here on east coast will cost you more than many of the hardwoods at the retail lumber yards. The devil is ALWAYS in the details.

Yes we definitely all have our own little bit of paradise - mine I certainly wouldn't trade. You've seem my sunny spot in the shuswap. Our mill and logging operations are down for the winter (need more housing starts in the US...:) ) so I have a little more spare time on my hand than usual. Since everything is covered in 2-3' of snow and frozen csm is out of the question. I took a look through my wood shed to see what projects might come to mind and I've got Pine - lodgepole with blue stain, white pine, yellow pine, doug fir, larch, cedar, spruce - nice stuff too don't get me wrong but prices here for hardwoods here are just stupid.

I'm glad some of that southern 'exotic stuff' gets utilized for things other than land fill or fire wood.

Pictures, more pictures please.....

All I have is pine:cry: doug-fir:mad: red cedar ...oh wait a little birch:).

Stop complaining...:greenchainsaw:

With me take away, the Pine, The Doug Fir and the Red cedar... Now you have Balsam, Spruce and Birch...

That was one reason I planted some maple and red oaks out at the woodlot this year. Only problem is that the moose came along and ate the red oaks!

Remember that no matter how bad you have it, someone is always worse off! :D

Latest posts

Back