Plenty of work!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, today was fun. No crane, I just dropped what I could outta three of them, and backed out of the 4th one. It was a huge pecan completely hollow, starting at 20' and stopping about 10' higher.
I didn't think I could side trim it cause I could see the hollow spot from the ground. But I climbed up to give it the old college try, and decided against it.
I'm too young to die from tree failure! :)

The Jan '04 TCI mag has an insert for the spring expo coming up in Sacramneto Ca. There is a two hour session on "Industry best practices for crane safety"... Seems like cranes are making a big change in the indusrty with a lot of small companies moving from hiring crane companies to owning and operating their own cranes...
Perhaps another thread on crane use is in order... I've heard some nasty stories... very nasty...
We've got a master operator here in Phily.... some say he's a little wild, but I've seen him do some things that I could hardly put into words... I beleive you could learn ten times as much in working with him for a day than in a 2.5 hour seminar...

PS... that was actually my 4 year old son posting..

Last edited:
It's the winter fat, Butch. I stepped on the scale last nite and it said ONE AT A TIME PLEASE...

:D

To my way of thinking, a snapcut would be the type of cut one would use so the climber could get out of the way so the crane operator could bust it loose. Not a good idea, IMO.

Instead of doing that, I would rig the limb in a different manner so I would be in control of the lift, instead of the other way around.

I allways strive for a nice, smooth lift with no shock loading. The snap cut technique sounds like its a little rough on the crane.

I use snapcut for chunking wood off. if the curfs are close together, then very little force is needed to release.

In crane operations, if this is done then the crane can pick it off with very little overload and still go up.

Or do it as you do with the peel, but undercut it so that the relesase is cleaner.

Master Blaster you are the GOd of all tree crane work!
We all are minsecule ants and grovel beneath your feet .
The CRANE GOD!

I owrked off a 21.5 ton for about a year drove it to every job site. We always rigged opposite side or direction of our notches which we always cut. Years later I worked with a veteran climber of many years. Smoked them trees he did. almost always he cut the same way you do . I have scence taken up his policy of not notching . Those trees are huge!
Good decision on that dead pecan. Thou I love it when I shouldnt be alive but am!
Most impressive sir!

By the way I do agree with Murp on the split tail.
i just like not having to untie my knot.
Cheers and great job! Thanks for the pics.
Behind the wire and Soldiering for the USA i sure miss all that fun your having. Do you ever get tired of people looking up to you ...LOL

Yes, Mike Mass calls me a Crane God all the time!

To tell you the truth, I wish I had more pics with rigging in them. But this particular job is pretty much dependent on the crane.

Feel free to post some pics!

Here is a small cherry I did years ago. I still have the echo, but the pole strap got burned into.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back