plenum on drolet tundra

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centennial60

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a drolet tundra sitting in my garage waiting to be installed in the basement. I've been thinking about how and where I want to install it and wishing I could use a plenum instead of the two 8" pipes out the top. So I was wondering if I could cut the top out of the tundra and install a plenum setup on it similar to the caddy. I guess I don't see any reason this couldn't be done since its basicly the same firebox as the caddy. Thinking a plenum would give me better air flow and better gravity flow too when the blower isn't running or during a power outage. What are your thoughts?

I don't see why you couldn't it's just sheet metal . It was originally designed that way so you could swap out an old us stove hotblast or Johnson energy and not have to alter your old ducting

I know it's not recommended, but before I would cut the top, I would keep the 4 outlet's open. Our old furnace had 2 originally and I cut the top for a 3rd, and ran a blower from the central furnace close to the size of the Tundras blower, and it would push quite a volume of air. It had no problems pushing the heat.

That's true didn't think of that. Would have to find some 16ga. Or so steel. Then I could always go back to original if I ever wanted to..

Couple points here.
1. I think a plenum is a good idea. I'd just go get a generic plenum kit at your local big box store, bend a flange around the bottom and then you could screw or rivet it right to the existing top.
2 IIRC, the Drolet rep that used to be a member here said that using only two of the supply duct holes in the top was important ( I think it is in the "introducing the tundra" thread) something about static pressure/ heat exchanger temps or something. I think it is mentioned in the manual too.

I would personally run the 2 ) 8" outlets before I started cutting it up and voiding the warranty ..Being an owner of the furnace I can assure you it moves plenty of air through two 8" ducts especially on the high speed setting

Yeah I should probably just use it as the owners manual states. It just seems odd to me that the tundra and caddy basicly share the same firebox but the caddy had a large plenum opening and the tundra is supposed to use 2 and only 2 of the 8" ducts. I guess I still have some time to think about it as it looks like it will be Christmas shutdown before I will get a chance to get it installed.

Latest posts

Back