Poison Oak Soap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopJimmy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone try the poison oak soap that Bailey's sells? I got a couple of bars and used it this weekend. I usually break out after a day of trimming and cutting in the woods. I used it this weekend and it seems to have made a big difference, but I do not know how much I actually got into. I never pay attention (I am often accused of being a bull in a china closet) to how much poison ivy I am working around. I definately got into some, I did break out a little bit, but it seems less severe than usual.

Am I crazy, or does this stuff help?

Jim

Hey Top Jimmy,
I am pretty severly allergic to that stuff, to the point where I usually have to get oral prednisone if I get it. yet I can't stay away from the woods. Best I have found is to thoroughly wash all affected areas as soon as practicable with plenty of soap and water,and I usually have little or no reaction in this case. The point is I think any good soap will work as the toxic agent is the plants' oil. I too would like to have some Baileys soap if its any better than just dial or whatever I happen to have in the shower.

I think many things will work, but the key is you have to break the chemical bond that oil has with your skin and you have to flush it with lots of water. An exception may be something like tecnu. The manufacturers claim that it instanntly breaks said bond and doesn't require any water.

I heard from someone that bleach would take the stuff right out. not sure how true it is though.

I've had great results using Tecnu. The key is not to wait too long so the oil can't get in your skin. I like also like the Zanfel scrub if I do end up with ivy or oak. It gets rid of the itch in minutes. I've been lucky and haven't needed prednisone since Tecnu and Zanfel.

Matt

I am extremely allergic to the stuff. All I need to do is walk by it with the wind blowing the right direction and Ive got it.

Ive used the Technu, almost 3 hours after I knew I got into it and had a minimal break out. Almost non-exsistent.

You can also try some of the stuff you put on when you know you are going to get into it. It blocks the oil from contacting your skin. I have never used it, and dont remember what its called....

A couple of those really bad breakouts from PI along with the fact that I was doing pretty well in college is probably the main reason I didn't get into teh tree business full force right after high school. Just made me break out so bad and took 3-4 weeks to completel;y clear even with the prednisone. I should probably have some tecnu on hand, but I think my biggest problem is not ID'ing teh stuff correctly, casue we have many look alikes around here. if I have been able to wash with soap and water within an hour or 2 then I get little to no breakout.

Back