Poll Pro-mod, Anti-mod, Neutral

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You a Pro-Modder, Anti-Modder or sitting on the fence?

• Pro-Modder

Votes: 133 59.1%
  • Anti-Modder

Votes: 19 8.4%
  • Fence Sitter

Votes: 73 32.4%

• Total voters
So where are people at when it comes to modding saw, either just muffler or port work?

Anyone willing to belly up to the bar and say why?

Muffler,Intake and port work.More power=anytime you can make an engine more powerful while keeping it reliable is cool with me...:chainsaw:

I used to want to make hot rods out of my saws, but I now believe the stock setup tends toward longevity, in that higher rpms cause moving parts to wear more rapidly. I would buy a factory ported saw like a Stihl version of the Univent 372, because the cylinder coating is likely applied AFTER the ports are opened. I have several opened mufflers and factory DPs, but I am not likely to port a saw myself, due to the risk of disrupting and curling up teh edge of the nikasil coating. Something about the idea of a ring scraping across that edge 20+ times per second just seems a bit risky IMO.

Like Andy once said, I really don't care if I cut the log in 20 seconds or 17.623 seconds. I like it when my saws start reliably and run well.

Modded saws rock, but it is hard to mess with something as fine as a perfectly running stihl. I like to tinker mostly, so a few seconds off a cut time is no big deal to me. To me, the best mod is a nice muff mod and a sharp chain. If my hand filing sucks, then what is the point of going to all the work of porting a saw. You are still missing the biggest piece of the idea behind modding.

And yes, my hand filing still sucks, but I have used some really nice hand sharpened chains and notice the difference right away.:greenchainsaw:

I'll be honest and admit that I could possibly get a bit more speed fine tuning my carbs a tad perhaps, and definitely could get more speed learning how to file square chisel and making the switch. My saws run and cut as well as I need them to at this point and I'm happy with that. Since I split all my wood by hand anyways there's only so much work I can get done either way. I figure when I finally buy a few new saws I'll start experimenting with the ones I have, but until then nothing more than a muff mod :)

Now just think of square ground on a modded saw. Ruinning modded saws its just so hard to run anything else. The 576 I ran the other day it was nice and smooth and quiet. The whole time I was thinking what are the gains that can be gottan out of this new strato saw.:greenchainsaw:

You been getting any use out of that 361 you picked up at the gtg? Just curious what you think of it.

Last edited:
I think I'm on both sides of the fence here. I have always done my own muffler mods and a little tweaking to get them to run and handle to my liking. In my area its about 50/50 stock saws to pro-moded saws, that's with the production cutters at least. I have always been content running a stock saw but have finally decided to have one done up just because of the fact that i know there's more to be had outta a stock saw.

Where i cut, i don't think think that the people around would really apprieciate all my mufflers modded and laud, so I'm neutral when it comes to this.

You been getting any use out of that 361 you picked up at the gtg? Just curious what you think of it.

You know I need to sell that saw. I might have 4 tanks through it. It looks brand new. The modded 346 and 390 do about all I need to do.

higher rpms cause moving parts to wear more rapidly.

If you could keep the heat down, then they'd just move faster for a shorter period of time and it would all balance out...:popcorn:

i used to run a stock saw...

port it, mill it, advance it!!

I don't plan to ever have a stock saw again, unless it is a "shelf queen". Not sure if I will build some of the others I have, but every new saw is sent NIB to saw spa for a working. Last 6 have never touched wood before going on vacation. Like siLlogger, once you have a good one, there is no going back. Every person that has RUN one of my modded saws agrees!!!! I have had people try to buy them on the spot, which I won't sell. I think it is great to see people smile once they have tried them, kinda like "Ultimate Home Makeover Smiles" you know what I am talking about!!!

Still think it would be interesting some day to have someone do some mild work on a 3120 while leaving the muffler alone. Mayve someday I'll get a wild hair and see what shipping would be to TW....

My 3120 is the LOUDEST beast that I own, including the DP 066BB and DP 660. I don't think the muffler on the 3120 has been touched!

I'll add my preference to modded, but not necessarily a full tilt mod for a work saw. I prefer longevity over gilt edge performance at the price of short life. Sharp chains, muffler mods, BB kits, and increased compression have been my limit so far. Having a tach to tune with for a baseline, and then tuning "in the cut" are definitely good ideas.

Anti-mod here. Like the saws the way they came. I guess it is the collector in me. I would rather have an all original '69 Camaro than one that has been all decked out.

Back in the old days I had a real '69 Z28 with the high-rpm 302. The kid I bought if from had painted fleur-de-leis (or however you spell it) on all the factory hood and trunk stripes. :cry: It took weeks to get them all off.

No. I don't wish I still had that car. :D

I guess I'd have to say muffler-modded only (for me). If you want to have fun, go at it -- it's YOUR saw! I've been really tempted to do porting, but the cost of a screw-up is scary. Hard to screw up a muffler that couldn't be fixed with some sheet metal and a brazing torch.

I guess I have it bad, though. Over the weekend we had a wind storm, and it blew leaves all over the yard and front porch. I went up to the barn and got the Stihl handheld blower and fired it up. Sounded weird. Too quiet.
So I looked at the muffler and saw that the opening was a conical nozzle that was just threaded into the muffler body. Went to the garage and found a 15mm wrench and took the nozzle off, instantly going from a 5/16" opening to a 1/2" opening. I also reached in and clipped the H screw limiter. Fired it back up, adjusted the screw and went back to the leaves. I don't know if the leaves blew any better, but at idle there was that crispy, popping sound we all know and love.

Ah-h-h-h-h-h. That's better.:)

I have run modded saws in the past, and dearly loved them, but I'm old now, so a well tuned stocker, muffler mods, and a razor sharp chain is fine for me.

Where i cut, i don't think think that the people around would really apprieciate all my mufflers modded and laud, so I'm neutral when it comes to this.

The way I figure it, they are going to hear my saw anyway, so they might as well hear it clearly.

Anti-mod here. Like the saws the way they came. I guess it is the collector in me. I would rather have an all original '69 Camaro than one that has been all decked out.

ha...thats odd you say that....there just so happens to be a #'s matching 1969 RS/SS (dad's) with a 396 and muncie 4 sp. sitting in my barn right now, hunter green with a white vinyl top and white hoodstooth interior, it is sitting next to my mom's 1994 red Z28 convertible, and my 1997 Black 30th anniversary Z28 conv.

.....and you don't need to mod these cars to make them run!!

I voted on the fence. It used to be years ago I'd take my stronger work saw ,mod it ,take it to the local winter festival chainsaw contest and win some prizes. The last brand new saw I bought a 372XP has all the power I need right out of the box for urban tree removal, fast, quiet, not bad on gas. The second last new saw besides my MS200 was my 1993 Stihl 066 Mag dual port . I rememember the most common comment at work when still logging, a fellow faller saying "I can hear that saw 10 strips away". Yep that 066 can rip!
I'm getting a brand new pair of saws in a few weeks, 346XP NE and a395XP, I'll see if they will need a some mods.
Now to change the subject as a 17 year old faller with too much money on my hands I had a 1970 formula 400 and a 1974 Nova SS. The Nova SS had a 350- turbo hydro 350 trans. The 70 Firebird had a 400 bored out to 448 c.i., 12 1/2:

Sorry about that my wife highjacked my post ,she hit the submit reply button. We're back to talking terms now and I can finish he he. I'm sure a few of you guys have had the same problem LOL. To finish what I was saying, I had 2 cars, a 1970 1/2 formula 400 ,448cub.in 12.5:1 compression, Ram Air IV , Muncie M22 rock crusher tranny with Hurst verticle gate w/ linelock, 500+ HP with open headers, quarter mile late 11's et. My 74 Nova SS had a 3 speed auto with a 250 hp 350 bone stock. Which one did I have fun with on the street? Yeah that torquey Pontiac Firebird. At a time when 4X4s weren't cool yet I was probably the happiest 17 year old logger on earth.

Sorry about that my wife highjacked my post ,she hit the submit reply button. We're back to talking terms now and I can finish he he. I'm sure a few of you guys have had the same problem LOL. To finish what I was saying, I had 2 cars, a 1970 1/2 formula 400 ,448cub.in 12.5:1 compression, Ram Air IV , Muncie M22 rock crusher tranny with Hurst verticle gate w/ linelock, 500+ HP with open headers, quarter mile late 11's et. My 74 Nova SS had a 3 speed auto with a 250 hp 350 bone stock. Which one did I have fun with on the street? Yeah that torquey Pontiac Firebird. At a time when 4X4s weren't cool yet I was probably the happiest 17 year old logger on earth.

Yep: Them wifes, get to the point thats it's just not worth the effort/expense to trade or break a new one in. :dizzy:

Those days and pre '73' motors were something before they started smogging them up. :censored:
Ford 289's & Mopar 340's transplanted to CJ 5's here.
Now days it a dozer, backhoe, dump truck and the less wrench turning the better, and the pack string to really get away from it all. :greenchainsaw:

I'm pro mod both ways, if its a women I like to open up the boob area and take a little off of the butt, but thats preference not so much performance:)

I guess the only thing I've modded was the muffler on that 024 I have, and it made the little thing fun to run, I wasn't sure if I'd ever really use that saw, now I know I will. I just can't bring myself to touching that 7900, it has about 10 tanks through it know, it's to new for me to :censored: with. I bought that 066 to screw around with so maybe sometime I can hook up with someone that knows there stuff and really go through the timing and such for the fundamental understandings of doing a good port job. Until then I'll just keep reading TW's and companies posts:)

Back