Polyester nylon core rope dielectric?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I can't seen to find if it's dielectric..... if not what type of rope would be safe to use around primary power lines when pulling trees over...

Rope will be hooked to a truck or a skid steer, tree is an oak about 18" Dia and around 35 to 40 feet tall pretty well balanced top maybe a little weight twards the line I'm pretty sure I could drop it with wedges, it has no rot and had a pretty good place to put the rope about 15' off the ground..... we have dropped a few trees near pwr lines and I normally just leave the hinge like 20 to 30% of the Dia and let the skid steer or truck do the work of getting it over

Not all ropes are conductive. That's incorrect. Most insulate, actually. Yale makes a rope for linemen. (Usually used as lanyards, I think) Forget the name of it.

Not all ropes are conductive. That's incorrect. Most insulate, actually. Yale makes a rope for linemen. (Usually used as lanyards, I think) Forget the name of it.

If the rope is straight out of the bag and has never touched dirt or gotten wet then you might be correct. After it has been used once, it has the potential to conduct.

If the rope is straight out of the bag and has never touched dirt or gotten wet then you might be correct. After it has been used once, it has the potential to conduct.
I stick by my statement. I think you should talk to some of the power guys.

Cordage Institute says elect. Conductivity resistance;nylon - poor
Polyester, polypropylene, polyethylene kevlar and spectra are all good. Sourced this in On Rope by Bruce Smith and Allen Padgette

You need to look at the term "resistance". I'm not saying a clean and dry poly rope is not resistant. As we use our ropes on a daily basis they become impregnated with dirt and grim. This decreases the ropes resistance. Also, you need to add in temperature. If you work in a hot humid area, that moisture can also effect the resistance. All I am saying is that we can build a false impression that our ropes will not conduct when in fact they can. Be safe.

The lack of understanding electricity among arborist is quite amazing.

To the OP: Have you considered the conductivity of the tree? The guy with the saw is going to be at the tree's base.

The only responsible response to the O.P. is: Power lines will kill you and you have shown by your question that you need to keep yourself and your crew away from them.

Warning: Graphic:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Back