Pool Backwash / Chlorine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrtree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anybody have and information, or experience with the effects of pool back wash (back flush?) on trees, I have done a search but can't find the old thread I thought I saw.

Michael

Chlorine is an oxidiser and as sodium hypo chloride degrades to sodium chloride, or salt.

it can desicate, cause root damage kill benificial microbiota...

The salt of corse is very mobile in the soil so flushing with regular water can help.

What is the reason behind the question?

A person called with three dead (or dying) 10 ft Blue spruce. She says the nursery won't replace them because they are clearly dead from the pool water. Now she says they are 80 feet away and besides she does not use alot of chemical.

Without (yet) seeing them, I would guess that the trees are dying of water (excess or not enough). The area is clay so the trees may have drowned, but I can imagine that the owner never got enough water on them.

Further the question is really how do you identify damage from chlorine and pool chemicals from dessication due to lack of water or drwoned roots.

Michael

P.S. The women does not want to spend much for an oponion as she is a struggling single mother!!!!:angry: :angry:

Do a soil test, it may take a few weeks to get the results back, but it shouldnt be any more than $15 on your end. Just make sure that they test for Cl. I think they do on the standard test, but just check to be sure.

Mr. Tree,

First off, I haven't any idea why the trees are dying but reading the post triggered some other thoughts about the situation.

1. Why does she want your professional opinion on the matter? Does she want to try to save the trees or is she just looking for strong back-up to shove in the face of the nursery?

2. How struggling can she be? A pool and 3 10 ft spruce trees. Sounds like she is struggling to pay you. I wish I had that kind of money. Neither are cheap where I live!

3. I'd walk away from the situation. Doesn't sound like there is any paying business involved and she probably isn't going to be happy if the answer you give her is that it was her fault for one reason or another.

I'll go with too much water in a clay soil.

Cl would probibly not be in high amounts after winter. I would have the salt factor chect, esp teh table salt variety, still it is rater mobile in the soil, so even it could be gone by now.

I tend to agree, that your not realy ready for this, lots of leg work for something you may end up doing mostly for cost.

Best bet is to ask this question at http://tree-tech.com/board/?topic=topic7 where the consultants hang out.

Unless Scott Cullen is still lurking abouts here.

Back