Poplar trunk splitting - why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Obvious

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have several poplar trees where the bark on the trunks has split vertically over several feet . The split is around waist level. They are 4-5 inch diameter and 15-20 feet tall. The split has opened up 1 inch + to expose the trunk wood which is now dark grey in color. What is causing this?

Another poplar about the same size lost the bark all the way around the base and looks to be dead. This looks like you would have hit it with a mower deck or string trimmer all the way around however I have never done either and I am the only one who mows. A similar thing has happened partially around the base of another poplar tree which has a rock ring around it so no mower could have hit it. Furthermore one bigger 8-10 inch poplar tree had the the whole upper center section die last year. No bark issues on this one.

I live in central KY. Could this have been caused by the hard spring freezes we had several years ago? If not what is happening.

Back