Port and Polish 101

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenearley65

Reaction score
Hi all! I’ve been wanting to attemp my first port and polish for a while now, but I can never seem to find good information for newbies. With all the videos I’ve watched and threads I’ve read, I’ve gained a basic understanding of the goals. But still a lot of it seems to go way over my head! Like what is squish? How do you know how much to take off and where? What’s with the degree wheel and how do you know what are good numbers to be at and shoot for?

Everything I’ve found on porting seems to be geared toward people that know what they’re doing, but where can I find info for a total newbie?

Is there a video or thread that someone can link that goes through the whole kit and kabootle start to finish?

I own 2 saws that I would like to port and polish, a stihl 171 for practice, and an echo 2511t (because I want a little beast).

I'm interested, too. It seems like the general procedure is okay to be given out as common knowledge, but the specifics are kept secret. What you can do without these secrets is clean up any burrs, chamfer sharp edges, and polish the exhaust port then port match the exhaust gasket and muffler to the exhaust port.

Maybe some masters wouldn't be opposed to sharing secret numbers for old outsated saws...?

Theres a book you can read online for free that covers a lot it's called 2 stroke tuners handbook

I dont think the numbers are a huge secret more as theres so many variations and different ways to accomplish preferred results, the job can be as individualized as ones fingerprint. On the secretive side, you cant just throw some standard numbers and shapes into a cylinder without standard results, these guys that have their name on a port job earned that name through what may seem a lifetime of trial and error... the more you read, the more you play, the more youll know.

I like Tinman's vids as well. Haven't done a port job yet, but I appreciate the detail that he goes into. His goal is to help noobs like us get started. Actually, his goal is to create more chainsaw loving fools, and I think he's doing a fine job at it :)

Back