portable conveyor to load trailer or truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captjack

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I purchased a 14x7 dump trailer and Im trying to come up with a conveyor that I can either hang on side of trailer to transport or just toss in on top of firewood when done using. The trailer has 3 foot side plus wood extensions. My ideal set up would be to have a small gas motor I could hook and unhook for transport. it would have to have fold out legs to support it at a fixed height.

Would a tw5 splitter have enough flow to use the pump for power ?

Have any of you tried to do this ? If not I will give it a whirl - get a patten and become rich hahaha

thanks

No idea how to do it, but that is an interesting project to consider, and how to maybe build it into the trailer.

Could you start with a yard sale exercise treadmill maybe?

look on craigslist under buss/commercial for a electric one some are 10 -15 feet long and run on 115v. so you can use a small gen. if you found a 10 footer you could hang it off the side of trl may take some time to find the right one but i would start there

don't know where in md you live but found this

south md craigslist

Jun 2 Warehouse Conveyor 3/4 Hp Hytrol Heavy Duty $750 (Crofton Md) pic map

Last edited:
I've seen some videos of YOUTUBE where guys made them out of an old corn elevator.. Not sure if that's what your trying to do?

You should look for a gravel pit type elevator. There the only ones that have the build to stand up to years of getting pounded with wood. If your crafty you could shorten it up because I haven't seen too many under 30 foot. I guess the next option I would take is a grain elevator. They have duel drive chains with cross paddles. Almost any type of elevator has just a sprocket or belt pully that you can power in any fashion.

The problem running a two stage hyd pump with a constant flow hyd motor is your pump would never want to shift on "low" gear. It shifts based on flow speed, so it the elevator is constantly flowing it will just direct flow to the elevator. Unless you have separate circuits for the ram and the elevator and only run the elevator when it needs to move.

I'm thinking hay elevator...unless you're planning to dump the wood on there with a skidsteer or something.

Check this trailer out. It has a neat log loader plus the unload feature. Trailer

Using a winch may be the best way to go. This technique could be easily adapted to other trailers.

A used merchandise outfit near me has an old wheel conveyor rack. It looks like it stands 3' high and is about 8-10' long. Not sure on how wide. I have been giving some thought on how I would use that conveyor. I may have to stop and check it out up close. Setting it up so a log rolls up the conveyor may be workable.

A hay elevator is a possibility, they're pretty light and you get them from 10' long to 20-something' or more. You could beef them up to take the pounding of the logs, would be interesting. Search engine a hay elevator and see what you think, they're all over craigslist.

Adam.

You are probably going to find that its more messsing arond than it is worth. you still have to pick it up anyway to put it on the conveyor, and you will have to keep moving it around to get it full.
I have a 30 and a 40 footer they are great for piling wood but a hassle to use for loading
BILL

I have a hay loader that I am modifying to use with wood.

Latest posts

Back