portawrap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.P

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi,can anyone tell me the best knot for tying a porawrap to a whoopie slling? at the moment I'm using a choke and a steel biner, and the best way to wrap the rope over the portawrap i have a isc porterwrap,thanks matt

I am not a big fan of whoppie slings, but if you have one that has a big enough spliced eye you can girth hitch it right to the PW.

My favorite hitch for a PW is a clock hitch with a biner, quick simple set-up and eliminates that long throat that you get with a whoppie or using the standard Stillson hitch or it's variations to it.

Larry

I tie a clock hitch too. Look around for a trash can. Once you find a good one, put the whoopie sling in it.
The real question is, what do you do when your eye sling isn't long enough to reach twice around the tree. I do a single strand clock hitch. That is, I tie a bowline to the eye, and attach the port-a-wrap to the single strand, instead of the double wrap of the clock hitch.

I like to girth hitch an eyesling to the PTW and timber hitch to the trunk. Whoopies are alright but one long enough to use with a PTW seems awkward.

Mike-duly noted-I'm not a slave to the Timberhitch but most of the time I use one position for the PTW throughout a removal. In that case the T-hitch works dandy.

I girth hitch a long piece of double braid (9/16) to the porty and use it double to tie either a cow hitch or timber hitch.

Regarding rotating the porty around ... never had to do it.

But I use multiple pulleys in the tree for redirecting the lowering line. The rope guy is set in a spot for lowering.

If the LZ has to change just whack another pulley above the new LZ and redirect the lowering line. More pulleys the merrier.

Mike, wazzup with those whoopie slings? I've been thinking of getting one coz some blokes reckon they're great. But I've lived without them this long ....

It's nice to set up the lowering system so ropes don't rub on the tree, the clock hitch allows freedom to slide the porty right into the best spot, and move it as needed throughout the job. Not a big deal. A clock hitch is tied similarly to a timber hitch except the porty is attached to two lines making it stronger.
If it takes the same time to tie, it's stronger, and can be moved easier, why tie an inferior not?

The whoopie slings are a PITA. I consider them an option to learning to tie a good knot. If I was going to use an adjustable sling, I go with the loopie.

Back