Ported 031 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job on the port work. The saw sounds good while its running. I have never messed with a 031 so I don't have a clue whats wrong with it. Hope you get it figured out, looks like a nice older.saw.

The 031 is a good old saw. My aunt that passed away here a few years ago had one in her shed with a 25" bar on it. Before she passed she told me they bought the saw at the dealer with that bar on it. After she passed the family gave me the saw. It pulled the 25" bar really well for a 48cc saw. Mine is now woods ported with the base gasket removed.

031 av

Took it out of the barn for a good run today. It didn't run too bad, I had to make some small changes to the carb to get it running well. Video is uploading as we speak and should be ready soon!
[video=youtube_share;GAIwtRVgRKY]http://youtu.be/GAIwtRVgRKY[/video]

could definatly hear the saw laboring more as it got longer into your cutting....ignition could be it or possible air leak as the saw heats up. It can be a pain to get the fixturing together to pressure/vac test a saw but it gives you a firm baseline of the engine to continue to diagnose stuff.... An air leak can fool you into thinking carb issues or ignition. However your idle did note seem to come up as it started to falter so i am thinking to look into igniton. Beleive it or not the connection of the plug wire barb at the plug boot can be a problem as is gets corroded and if there is high resistance it will actually become sort of burnt or from the spark arching. also make sure the plug wire is not running to close to the cylinder as it goes up to the plug...it is tight in the area and there is only one way the wire can get to the plug withut chafing somthing. If the av mounts are blown out the fuel line and ground wire for the igntion switch can get real close to rubbing and kinking and causing problems. + check to see if the tank is venting fit a vacume pump to the fuel line with the cap on and tank empty pump up vacume and see that it bleeds off it no might have a faulty fuel cap.

good luck+keep both hands on the saw!

sap can

However your idle did note seem to come up as it started to falter so i am thinking to look into igniton. Beleive it or not the connection of the plug wire barb at the plug boot can be a problem as is gets corroded and if there is high resistance it will actually become sort of burnt or from the spark arching.
sap can

I know I have seen the threads on here to change it over to an E. I think it's a new coil and flywheel???

Per this link
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/199603.htm

My 031 still blows 150 psi compression, the carb is touchy tough. I measured the squish once by putting solder into the spark plug hole on both sides 180 deg apart, it was .050!. I doubt its that wide, but it runs too good to tear apart.

Latest posts

Back