Ported a 142 Husky today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
One of the guys I work with does tree work on the side.
His 142 Husky was pretty sad and I let him use my ported 401 Dolmar.
He couldn't believe the difference, and asked me to make his 142 run like my 401.
I ported it today and put a new carb on it for him.

The chain was TERRIBLE. It was sharp enough but was cutting around corners. It would cut great half moons in outhouse doors.
I think he will be pleased and probably won't believe it is the same saw.

Mike

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RjgeLAfu5Vc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RjgeLAfu5Vc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I tried to get some before video but the carb was so fried it wouldn't run enough to shoot any.

I think it turned out pretty well for a clamshell design Poulusky.
I would like to see it with a real good chain.

Mike

that runs great, nice job I hope that I can make my 141 run like that say did you replace it with an OEM carb and if so what carb did you use I think I got carb issues with mine. thank you keep on cutting

that runs great, nice job I hope that I can make my 141 run like that say did you replace it with an OEM carb and if so what carb did you use I think I got carb issues with mine. thank you keep on cutting

Yes it was a new old stock Walbro WT-542.

The carb was $21.25 delivered to the door, and a kit was gonna be around $18.00 delivered.
Go figure!!!!!

Mike

Man oh man thats a little screaming, cutting machine.

$18 for a carb kit for a K10wat?

Man your buying them from the wrong place. Mylven can do better then that I'm sure.

I was shopping the "bay" at around midnight.
The kit was 12.00+ s/h.
I wouldn't take one apart for $21.25 especially if it's not mine.
They give me fits!!!

Mike

I don't believe so Brad.
I think the 242XP is a split case.
This saw is a clamshell Poulusky design.

Mike

As you can see, I don't know all my Huskys very well. You really tackled a toughy. The smaller they are, the harder it is to get inside that jug. Add to that the extra depth of a clamshell, and they're not easy to do.

Thanks Shane,

With a good bar and chain it might give the 401 a good run.
It would be really close to (and maybe beat) a stock 420.

I am gonna keep my eye out for a decent used 420.
I think that wants to be the next hotrod around here!!!
I'd like to be able to make one run as well as the one Brad did a while back.
That saw is a RUNNER!!!!!

Mike

Good job there Mike. I have a little 017 I'm about to port, did you do anything to the upper transfers or just widen the intake and exhaust ports? What about the piston windows? It sure seems to be a little screamer.:cheers:

Good job there Mike. I have a little 017 I'm about to port, did you do anything to the upper transfers or just widen the intake and exhaust ports? What about the piston windows? It sure seems to be a little screamer.:cheers:

No windows in that piston.
I didn't do anything to the transfers. I'm not that smart yet.
I just widened and squared the exhaust port, and opened and smoothed the intake a tad.
This is the squarest I have ever made the exhaust at the top. It is almost trapezoidal with just a slight rounding of the top edge to keep from catching a ring.

Mike

No windows in that piston.
I didn't do anything to the transfers. I'm not that smart yet.
I just widened and squared the exhaust port, and opened and smoothed the intake a tad.
This is the squarest I have ever made the exhaust at the top. It is almost trapezoidal with just a slight rounding of the top edge to keep from catching a ring.

Mike

Yea that's right, open transfers and closed piston on all of the huskys I've fooled with so far...I don't think so good some times...I've self medicated too much in the past. :cheers::givebeer:

Back