Porting a MS660 w/BB Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks strong in that big Oak. I cut Oak like that quite a bit and I could'nt keep up with that saw with my MM'd 660. Not close. Good work there B.

Brad here's a picture for you an Fatguy. A used crusty old 66 muffler with a brazed in plate I had lying around. Alot more work than just grinding out the front plate. Without brazing in the plate after removing all the guts in the muffler the muffler is weak and will crack, and you can't perfectly port match the muffler to the cylinder because of the over lap in the muffler opening. I do this little mod to all my 66's, along with matching everything else including cases. Paying attention to "detail" is a must if one expects to have an excellent running saw, especially if it's your own. LOL

Nice work with that brazed in plate.

It depends on the saw. Some need more blowdown than others. Blowdown is the number of degrees from when the exhaust first starts to open until the transfers start to open. This saw currently has 28° of BD. That's a lot, too much IMHO. I left it that way just to see how it would respond. I just got home from putting a tank of fuel through it. It runs great, but as expected, didn't turn the RPMs I wanted, even with the high exhaust. I've got the cylinder back on the bench and will be raising the transfers about 5°. That should help feed the cylinder at high RPMs. Other saws would like this much BD. The 7900 comes to mind there.

Brad, If the 660 has 28* of blowdown and you raised the transfers 5*, that would be 23*. Correct?

Is there a standard for blowdown? Meaning, no more than x degrees and no less than x degrees?

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed report Brad. I especially appreciate the info on the poor quality/missing plating at the top of the bore. Wish Grande Dog would get that under control. :snail:

You are right. I shouldn't have done that.

It's the wood. This is super hard Oak and it's frozen. Just this morning, the chain was sharpened with a file/jig and the rakers set with an Oregon combo guage.

I think mine's still faster:)

I think mines faster!!! but lets not get this into a bunch of guys arguing about who's faster.

Brad -
How much bar do you think that one could handle buried in say frozen white oak?

I'm interested more from a milling standpoint but sometime regular cutting also. Last week I was burying my 660 w/ a DP muffler and 32" bar in frozen maple without it bogging down.

167991d1294744380-stihl%3Dn-stump-jpg

And I'm wondering if you think the 660 you ported for redlinefever would handle a 42" bar in the cut, before I buy $90 worth of chains ($30@) for it.

/edit - and I just noticed Bailey's has free shipping for over $200 again, so maybe 6 chains :)

Last edited:
I will bring my 6" angle grinder over we can start on the 346ne:hmm3grin2orange:

I already got a 9" angle grinder. Maybe if we use two grinders, get-er-done quick.;)

Think I'm goin to do the 357 first. I kind of hate to mess with the 346s'...

Brad -
How much bar do you think that one could handle buried in say frozen white oak?

I'm interested more from a milling standpoint but sometime regular cutting also. Last week I was burying my 660 w/ a DP muffler and 32" bar in frozen maple without it bogging down.

And I'm wondering if you think the 660 you ported for redlinefever would handle a 42" bar in the cut, before I buy $90 worth of chains ($30@) for it.

/edit - and I just noticed Bailey's has free shipping for over $200 again, so maybe 6 chains :)

I can't really tell you. I've not had more than a 36" on mine and it man-handles it.

Last edited:
I'm sure an 660 will handle a 42" bar just fine, but that's really 084 territory and the stock oil output on the 660 would be lacking IMHO. With the oil pump upgrade and a good port job I'd say the 660 will rip pretty good with a 42" bar.

It is rather odd how "lackluster" the oilers are anymore! My BB 046 will easily pull a 32" bar in hardwood with an 8 pin sprocket, but it tries to burn the bar up! I have to run a 7 pin with the larger bar, not for lack of power, but lack of oil!

Latest posts

Back