Porting question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vquinoveva

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok all you porters out there, when porting how much space do you need between the say exhaust and transfers to prevent interference or short circuiting? I’ve read in Jennings that he recommended .325 but this doesn’t seem realistic in a saw. Any suggestions or rule of thumb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gurus on transfer, cylinder port timing will chime in. Lots of stuff on YouTube.

I lower the intake port, widen it a tad. Raise the exhaust port and widen it a tad. I trim the bottom of the piston skirt that changes the intake port timing. I match the transfers to the base gasket. And knife edge and lower the center rib. I don’t touch the transfer port timing.

I’ve done it this way for many decades. A two stroke is a two stroke.

Attachments

• DB55761F-2379-4002-A082-99D1C40CE17D.jpeg
    DB55761F-2379-4002-A082-99D1C40CE17D.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 13
No I’m talking about the space between the side edge of the exhaust port window and the side of the transfers windows I’m not worried about port duration I’m talking from side to side and space between the port windows. I hope that makes sense

In this case exhaust and transfers, what could a guy realistically squeeze out of that or is that in fact the limit?

I don’t remember actually measuring any saw other than an MS362. I couldn’t widen the exhaust port as much as I wanted. But those primary transfers shoot hard toward the intake. I’d stay further away on transfers that blew more toward the middle of the piston.
What model are you inquiring about?

I don’t remember actually measuring any saw other than an MS362. I couldn’t widen the exhaust port as much as I wanted. But those primary transfers shoot hard toward the intake. I’d stay further away on transfers that blew more toward the middle of the piston.
What model are you inquiring about?

This is just a general question but after some experimentation probably an 066 and 3120

As long as they don't break through......

Don't forget to look at the piston to make sure it doesn't have features that conect the ports.

Latest posts

Back