Porting Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncfarmboy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a ccspecialty #55mc for upper transfer work. Need advice on which head will be best straight or angled and why.

Shep

websitepics%20155_0.jpg

"# 56MC AVAILABLE. SAME DESIGN AS 55MC BUT WITH NO " CURVE " TO THE NECK OF THE TOOL"

I don't have either, but to my eye the shape of the 55mc looks just right for fitting inside a cylinder.

After looking @ larger pic. Thanks to you. I think the angle head will be the "dog". The straight head woul have fit next to cyl.wall. making it more difficult to control.

Shep

This setup covers my needs pretty well:

DSCN0350.jpg

Sure, it's cheap, and there's no angle to the head, but that just means I can't put the bit anywhere I can't see it. I'll spend the cash on a better tool when this one proves unable to do something that I ask it to.

Ditto on the Dremel setup have just about worn out my handpiece. Bought used kit with flexshaft and it was "used". New brushes and back to work. Just for info don't buy the Foredom knockoff from kpbuy68 it's junk bought one $69 gave it to my neighbor it had a wood gouge and he does woodwork. Heads are junk they did replace it twice vibrates like crazy. Turned around and bought a used Foredom same money another case of cheaper is not better.
Shep

Ditto on the Dremel setup have just about worn out my handpiece. Bought used kit with flexshaft and it was "used". New brushes and back to work. Just for info don't buy the Foredom knockoff from kpbuy68 it's junk bought one $69 gave it to my neighbor it had a wood gouge and he does woodwork. Heads are junk they did replace it twice vibrates like crazy. Turned around and bought a used Foredom same money another case of cheaper is not better.
Shep

It isn't kpbuy68 it's kpbuy98.
Shep

I checked with CC Specialty and their handpieces run with Foredom TX motors.

I have a Aero air-powered pencil grinder. When you go air, you'll never want anything else. Gotta keep the urge to hog controlled or the burrs load up, and keep the aluminum lubed. But ssmmmooootthh is the word.

Foredom is probably the way to go though, as you can plug in an go, and the selection of handpieces is excellent.

Last edited:
"# 56MC AVAILABLE. SAME DESIGN AS 55MC BUT WITH NO " CURVE " TO THE NECK OF THE TOOL"

I don't have either, but to my eye the shape of the 55mc looks just right for fitting inside a cylinder.

I've broke 3 of the Foredom 55's now. When they say light duty... they are not kidding.

I finally stepped up to the CC 182 MC and it's much more sturdy but the contra angle of the 55's does help out a lot with keeping the bur from jumping. For the next job I'm getting one of my 55's fixed for the hard to reach places and some left hand carbides from CC.

I like the grinder in reply #2. Can you supply me with the address on where to get one? Any idea what they cost?
I've used a dental tool before,slow but precise for transfers.

I like the grinder in reply #2. Can you supply me with the address on where to get one? Any idea what they cost?
I've used a dental tool before,slow but precise for transfers.

That is a Foredom 55A handpeice. You can buy them directly through Foredom buy you'll need to buy the hanging motor to drive it as well. Also CC Specialties sells these but they have a kit with the 182MC that I would recommend instead. Note, the 55A handpiece is what I broke 3 of but I may have been using a bur that was too aggressive for it.

I like the #56 with the angled head.
It's not an air tool,it needs the hanging motor?
Maybe I'll inquire on used dental tools...

The contra head helps control the bur from jumping around. The right angle handpiece will chatter a lot when you get close to corners. Either one you'll need the hanging motor to run. This is my 182MC from CC Specialties, I like it but the right angle is prone to chattering in corners. I think I'll get a few of my Foredom 55A handpieces rebuilt to finish the intricate corners.

IMG_0794.jpg

I like the #56 with the angled head.
It's not an air tool,it needs the hanging motor?
Maybe I'll inquire on used dental tools...

Needs a flex shaft not necessarily a hanging motor. Foredom makes a hanging type CC,SR,etc. and a bench mount don't remember the number both use a flex shaft. Take a peek on foredom.net and ccspecialtytool.com
Shep

Last edited:
Has any one else ever tried using a dentist's air dremel? I had the chance to use one on a couple of race cylinders and it worked fine,of course it didn't have a ton of power,but I didn't need that for altering transfer ports.
I'm thinking of looking for a used one at a dental supply place...

Just get the Foredom. They are the industry standard in jewelry repair. I would also recommend getting the hanging motor as this getis it up off the bench and leaves more room for other junk.

I do agree that the angle handpieces are a little fragile. But if you remember to take it easy with them, they will serve you well. The straight handpieces are pretty heavy duty. You can't use them in place of your angle grinder, but they sure do work well for benchwork on saws. And the Foredom motors will last forever. Then when forever comes and you need to rebuild, kits are cheap and easy.

Just get the Foredom. They are the industry standard in jewelry repair. I would also recommend getting the hanging motor as this getis it up off the bench and leaves more room for other junk.

I do agree that the angle handpieces are a little fragile. But if you remember to take it easy with them, they will serve you well. The straight handpieces are pretty heavy duty. You can't use them in place of your angle grinder, but they sure do work well for benchwork on saws. And the Foredom motors will last forever. Then when forever comes and you need to rebuild, kits are cheap and easy.

Mine has become the most used tool in my garage. I have an arm mounted to the wall over my work station so I can swing it to where I need it. Since it stays out and accessible all the time I'm always using it to cut, debur, sharpen small drill bits, polish something, ect. It was well worth the money.

Mine has become the most used tool in my garage. I have an arm mounted to the wall over my work station so I can swing it to where I need it. Since it stays out and accessible all the time I'm always using it to cut, debur, sharpen small drill bits, polish something, ect. It was well worth the money.

I was bench jeweler for years and got very used to having one. I use mine for so many things other than cylinders. I have mine mounted to the shelf above my workbench. One day I will get around to making something that swings around. I too have a dremel, but a flex shaft with an infinitely variable foot control is so much easier and more precise to use.

Back