Porting, You get what you pay for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. here is the story on the piston/cylinder damage.

saw was bought new, ported when new.

soon after buying it the crank bearing went out. It was shipped back to the builder and replaced under warranty. owner was told about damage to the P&C but that it cleaned up and would be fine.
    When it came back from the bearing replacement it still didnt run right and got sent back to the builder again. this time it received a new carb and shipped back. still didnt run right so it got set on a shelf with a disgusted owner for a time. The owner finally decided it was time to do something with it and get a useable saw so that is where we find ourselves today. Unfortunately i did not recieve dates or copies of the correspondence with the builder so some of the time frame and details are unconfirmed but the builder acknowledged the bearing and carb replacement to me.

So if I can break this down...

Saw came from a "Dealer", JRed dealer... who also ports new saws... then returned for bearing work, now runs like hammered $hit. That is not porting, that is abusing someone who thinks *builder* offers a true service.

I don't want to "guess" as that would be unjust but I would bet a $20 on my thoughts ;)

nope. crank bearing failure....builder sanded the cylinder and piston to smooth out the damage and reassembled it.
Aside from the obvious, something isnt adding up... Why would the builder get the bottom end warrantied but not the piston and cylinder? If I was the saw owner I would not have accepted the saw back the first time with a fluff and buffed P/C if the crank was warrantied.

Maybe the crank wasnt warrantied and the owner was fed a line of BS. Maybe the builder said it was but ate the cost because he was culpable and fluffed and buffed the P/C to save him some money from having to eat that cost too.

The crank was probably easy to warranty since it could be returned unmodified.

From my viewpoint, there are two totally separate issues here.

First of all, the owner of a saw must accept that the factory warranty is null and void as soon as he has it ported. He's fortunate that he bought it from a dealer that could get the crank warrantied at all. No way though is the factory going to warranty a modified topend. IMHO, the builder did him a favor trying to salvage it, which I would expect. The builder can't be held responsible for topend damage due to a defective crank or bearings.

On the other hand, the really question to me is, what was charged for this "port job". I've caught a lot of flack for doing similar mods and calling it Stage 1. Since no real port work was done, it's worth far less money. If the owner paid $250-$300 for these mods, he got ripped off. The work simply isn't there.

I am unfamiliar with warranty work... does the warrantied parts have to go back to the factory? I thought the shop makes the call if it is warranty work and they do the work but am unaware if the parts go back to the company. That might help clear things up some.

that's the point...there was nothing warrantied through the factory. whoever built this saw had to eat the lower end rebuild...he did everything in his power to not eat the top end as well.. my opinion.

unless he's a dealer. dealers can pull strings to get things warranted. most dealers won't for modified saws which is why it is evident that the builder is the dealer himself. there was a thread not to long ago about this. this is an easy one to figure where it came from. i'm not about to drop any names though.

I find it interesting that it is ok for a builder to come on the forums and post all kinds of neat pictures of their work drumming up business but when they do very poor work and they know when it is not good no body wants to mention their name. Sounds like double standard to me.

I agree, I think the name of the builder should be made public. This is horrid work and people that are thinking of having work done to their saw in the future should be spared the headache of having being ripped off in this manner.

I agree, I think the name of the builder should be made public. This is horrid work and people that are thinking of having work done to their saw in the future should be spared the headache of having being ripped off in this manner.
I dont totally disagree with your comment however there are things we just dont know. Its possible that the saw owner knew the level of "porting" and mods that was going to be done on the saw and thought the price he was paying for the service was acceptible. I dont think its fare to pin a name to the saw without allowing the builder to speak up. With that being said, any comments saying that the builder is a dealer is pure conjecture at this point.

I dont totally disagree with your comment however there are things we just dont know. Its possible that the saw owner knew the level of "porting" and mods that was going to be done on the saw and thought the price he was paying for the service was acceptible. I dont think its fare to pin a name to the saw without allowing the builder to speak up. With that being said, any comments saying that the builder is a dealer is pure conjecture at this point.

this is how this builder does all his 562's. he says it is all that is needed for them to run and i'm not gonna argue with him at all as i've seen his 562's run in video. they will smoke one with the ports all hogged out. fix the air leaks and i bet it runs like a raped ape. the pop up and jug lowering must alter the timing just enough to make them run the way he wants them to run.

I am unfamiliar with warranty work... does the warrantied parts have to go back to the factory? I thought the shop makes the call if it is warranty work and they do the work but am unaware if the parts go back to the company. That might help clear things up some.
I cant answer to Husqvarna or jonsered...but with stihl, no...not all warrantied parts get called back. its up to the service reps/distributors to call warranty parts back. we are told to hold the parts for x amount of time and after that we can discard them. so if this saw manufacturer is like stihl...it would've been a gamble for the builder/dealer to try and warranty the cylinder through the factory.

unless he's a dealer. dealers can pull strings to get things warranted. most dealers won't for modified saws which is why it is evident that the builder is the dealer himself. there was a thread not to long ago about this. this is an easy one to figure where it came from. i'm not about to drop any names though.
true...if the builder is the dealer he could've probably got the lower end covered by the factory warranty... but he wouldn't be able to get the top end warrantied...so I guess that was my point, he would've had to eat the top end...which he obviously didn't want to do and reused the cylinder.

edit: i don't want to delete anything ive wrote because I don't like that... but would rather add here, me saying he obviously didn't want to replace the cylinder was just guessing/conjecture as I don't know what the cylinder looked like when it came in the first time for repair....I apologize for jumping to a conclusion

these are my 2 questions that this job brings up....

WARRANTY:

what is covered and what isnt with a ported saw?

this saw had the crank bearings and carb covered in full by "warranty" but the damaged piston and cylinder were "hidden" for a lack of better vocabulary on my part. an uneducated customer listened to an "experienced" builder that it was just a couple scratches that got sanded out and would be fine. In my eyes, on a new saw the P&C need replaced. So if the carb and bearings are covered, why isnt the cylinder also covered since the damage was caused by the bearing failure.
im calling it warranty but i simply dont know if it was the builder eating the cost or working some magic/taking a chance on a factory warranty

Porting value:

for all the porters out there.....

at what point do you change what you charge for porting a saw? I understand some saws require massive amounts of work and some very little but does a cut base and popup really justify $200-300? Is that fair to your customers charging full boat for a job that could be done at home by most guys that have a local machine shop.

People always want to assume that the price of something reflects how much it cost to do or to make, but that is almost never the case. The price of something reflects what you can get someone to pay for it. The mods done here may be very effective, I have no idea.

If they were simple to do but work better than more elaborate mods then which should cost more? Which is worth more? Are you paying for results or effort?

I have no idea if the damage was due to the mods - maybe the leak was an issue. Maybe it was well within what AT could compensate for and made no difference at all.

If you can drop the coin for a brand new state of the art pro Husqvarna and then pay someone to modify it then clearly you have money you can afford to lose. Even in the echo chamber of saw forums there is no way you could be unaware that you were taking a risk. The stock saw is warranted by Husqvarna, while the modified saw is warranted by some guy with a small shop - at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back