Porting, You get what you pay for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marshy, in case you aren't aware he's from Norway and English is not his first language. I'm pretty sure we all know this particular 2260 was not a success having had to have been in to 3 times or more to get it running perfectly.
We have all agreed that Terry can build a bad mamma jamma 2260/562 but this one just didn't turn out the best. Now is it seems likely that there was another inherent issue that caused some of the problems.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
Don't give me that BS that english is his second language. He's been on the forum long enough and has demonstrated he understands the English language to know what he's saying. The bottom line is his comment and yours is condensing and lacks the respect I think Terry deserves given this situation. To say "the saw was not a success" is not accurate IMO and is apparent the original failure was not a result of anything Terry did or didn't do.

One would think that after the builder got a chance to tell his side of the story people might come around to the fact that Terry offered to make it right but the buyer has chosen not to take him up on it.

The fact is the buyer takes a risk when they have a new saw modified/ported. You can't expect a non stock cylinder to be covered by a factory warantee and if he expected Terry to cover it he should of asked sobhe knew what to expect up front. Some times when you take a risk and lose you win a life lesson. The real lesson is don't assume anything.

Edit:
I'm editing this because I admitt that yesterday I read into @Tor R and @GCJenks204 posts and I made a conclusion that was over reaching. I apologized to them both in a PM as I believe I was interjecting some frustration I was having outside of the forum.

You should hear some members complain about my price for this.........
298df22667ea9b488f22eea946853e19.jpg

I'm sorry but cool costs money.

if i had one of these id be afraid to scratch it and it would be hanging above my tv in the living room id be heartbroken if i used it and it got messed up it is a beautiful work of art

i live in west virginia and there is a few scenic train rides can ride such as cass scenic railroad the tygart flyer durbin rocket potomac eagle the salamander and a few more i havent rode on

I'm gonna say this now...I ain't got no dog in this fight when it comes to saw porters, otherwise. Ain't got no ported saws. You folks see the cheap **** I got in my sig...and I ain't too damn proud to put up the chicken **** I own...they're mine, free and in the clear, ain't owing nobody nuthin. ;)

We're all here to live and learn for the most part. I'm way down on the scale of learning, but I try to keep up with this stuff as best I can. It's overwhelming to me at times trying to keep up with it, talking all this squishy stuff, milling stuff, etc, and ain't too proud to admit it. I got a little sense about me...but this is all kinda new to me. Let's move on...

One post I did not like here was simply this...'If we could get rid of 10-15 members, we'd be alright, wouldn't have any problems.'...don't like that one bit. Maybe I misread it, maybe I didn't??...ya rectum??

My intent here is not to call any saw builder out, nor stir any BS pot...But I do question the narcissism invoked and involved in here. I read what I read fellas, and I cut up when I cut up...I'll end up buying some bigger, badder saws...would like to get them geeked up, ported. But until then, I got what little **** I got, and I'm content and happy with it. I think I've narrowed down my field of future porters, no doubt...just sayin'.

You fellas have a great night.

Is asked by the saw owner to repost this.

"My name on AS is ash man and I'm the owner of the saw in question. I was out of town Weds through Friday night in Charlotte NC at a trade show. I didn't find out about the thread until it was well on its way and never did actually get caught up until late last night. I spent yesterday talking to Terry and Nate about the situation to try to get my ducks in a row before I even posted a response, but figured I better hurry since its already locked on AS as of this morning.

Everything Nate has posted is extremely factual to the best of his knowledge. I wasn't aware of the saws problems and I went to his shop for the first time ever to buy a 6100 and potentially trade him my 2260, because it had issues 3 times and seemed like every 4th or 5th time I'd run the saw something else would go wrong with it. Nate was considering a trade, but wanted to check it out on his software to check its history first. When he did a bunch of error codes poped up. I decided to leave it there for a vac test and if it came back clean Nate would take it on trade for a 6100. Pretty much the exact version Nate indicated. Right before I left for my trade show I talked to Nate and he let me know about the air leaks and that he'd like to fix them and he'd treat me right on the repair bill. Once he tore it down he saw the scoring in the p&c and the rough port ( modification work) and said he might start a thread to see what peoples thoughts were. I told him I didn't want in the middle of it and didn't want anyone mentioned which he agrees on. Nate went out of his way to keep it positive and not mention anyone in particular, but rather get opinions on what actually constitutes port work and what the builder should warranty if anything. I don't believe Nate was trying to be malicious in any way, rather just trying to help out a fellow AS member.

I bought the saw from Terry during his 2013 cyber Monday sale at a very attractive price. I bought the saw from Terry because he has a very good reputation. The saw went back to Terry twice for bearing issues and once for the carb upgrade from el-46 to 48 and each time Terry did the work on his dime. I only paid for shipping. He took care of it and got me a running saw in a timely manner. If I would have contacted Terry again with an issue I'm sure he would have made it right again. Now you can argue the port job all you want. It's not the prettiest or probably the fasted 60cc saw in the world, but I was verry happy with its performance while it was running. The issues the saw had i don't believe were Terry's fault, but rather the bugs in a new model saw. He built me a powerful saw for a great price and even fixed it when he could have told me to pound salt, since I knew the warranty went out the window when I bought a ported saw.

In conclusion what Terry, Nate and I have come up with is this; Terry is sending me a lightly used p&c (would have sent a new one, but won't have one in till sometime in March) and Nate is going to install it so I can avoid $50 shipping bill for freight. Once again Terry is stepping up to make it right and Nate is going above and beyond to help a fellow AS member out. I couldn't be more appreciative to Terry and Nate for helping me out.in this matter. If I had bought the saw from a run of the mill dealer I'd be out of warranty now even if it was stock. Kudos to Terry and Nate once again.

I'd definitely would recommend buying OPE from Terry and Nate. I know I will if I have future needs. I think alot was said and assumed about the parties involved and hopefully this helps finally put this thread to rest. They both are stand up guys and I would personally trust them with future purchases down the road."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back