Porting, You get what you pay for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I jumped from page 12 straight to page 15...damn this is good reading and probably didn't miss much, lol. Let this **** roll on and no mod jump in with that BS 'we're gonna shut 'er down' talk. Folks either got enough thick hide, or enough ass to walk the walk, or get the hell off the front porch. One things for certain...ass hurt's a comin...be mindful if you make a living off others who shop and spend money here.

I jumped from page 12 straight to page 15...damn this is good reading and probably didn't miss much, lol. Let this **** roll on and no mod jump in with that BS 'we're gonna shut 'er down' talk. Folks either got enough thick hide, or enough ass to walk the walk, or get the hell off the front porch. One things for certain...ass hurt's a comin...be mindful if you make a living off others who shop and spend money here.
You may have missed something funny I wrote...........:(

Did I mention I like trains?

for any train aficionado... the History Channel dvd Extreme Trains is an awesome 7 hour train ride. everything trains, all types... and an amazing coverage of the background side of trains and their operations. impressive. even if seen, worth riding the Union Pacific lines again! :) I got a copy recently at my public library... and if yours (anyone's) does not have it, often times it can be acquired... thru interlibrary lending.

for any train aficionado... the History Channel dvd Extreme Trains is an awesome 7 hour train ride. everything trains, all types... and an amazing coverage of the background side of trains and their operations. impressive. even if seen, worth riding the Union Pacific lines again! :) I got a copy recently at my public library... and if yours (anyone's) does not have it, often times it can be acquired... thru interlibrary lending.
I will have to check Netflix and Amazon Prime for that! Unfortunately 98% of my train viewing pleasure comes from Thomas the Train. :(

Builder receives an order for a saw,

In this case it was a new saw purchase and mods were discussed and a price set,

Partial disassemble of saw and set up degree wheel for a quick check of #s, (they aren't always identical on all cylinders of that same saw model) measure squish, calculate the base cut for where he wants the ports to be and popup height.

Remove cylinder and piston, set up and cut the popup, clean the piston and install. Install cylinder and re check squish, remove cylinder, set up for base cut, clean cylinder, do the "very minor" grinding to the ports as determined by all the trial and error of previous less than desired results, install cylinder and re check squish.

Perform the muffler mods needed for this particular model.

Re assemble, install bar and chain, fill with fuel and bar oil, test fire, shut it off. Leave the shop for the wood pile and test the idle, off idle and wot. Put it in the wood and let it eat for a good bit. Return to the shop, drain the fuel and bar oil, clean up the saw and prep for shipping. Package it and print a shipping label and schedule the pick up.

Resources used,
Measuring equipment, lathe, air compressor, cleaning solutions, flex shaft grinder and bits, sanding rolls, tools, lights, heat (or AC ) and I'm sure I missed a few.

Eventual replacement of all the equipment when they are worn out or repairs when they break.

Insurance and property taxes on the building he is doing all this in.

He charged $200.00 for the "quick 30 minute job" of cutting the base and pop up.
What a crook!

Partial disassemble of saw and set up degree wheel for a quick check of #s, (they aren't always identical on all cylinders of that same saw model) measure squish, calculate the base cut for where he wants the ports to be and popup height.

Remove cylinder and piston, set up and cut the popup, clean the piston and install. Install cylinder and re check squish, remove cylinder, set up for base cut, clean cylinder, do the "very minor" grinding to the ports as determined by all the trial and error of previous less than desired results, install cylinder and re check squish.

Re assemble, install bar and chain, fill with fuel and bar oil, test fire, shut it off. Leave the shop for the wood pile and test the idle, off idle and wot. Put it in the wood and let it eat for a good bit. Return to the shop, drain the fuel and bar oil, clean up the saw and prep for shipping. Package it and print a shipping label and schedule the pick up.

Resources used,
Measuring equipment, lathe, air compressor, cleaning solutions, flex shaft grinder and bits, sanding rolls, tools, lights, heat (or AC ) and I'm sure I missed a few.

Eventual replacement of all the equipment when they are worn out or repairs when they break.

He charged $200.00 for the "quick 30 minute job" of cutting the base and pop up.
What a crook!

Its nice to hear someone else thinks that way.

I just never feel like typing all that..spot on.

I wonder that too. Plus give the boot to those asking for it.

To someone not familiar with saw modders and even to someone that is, threads like this make them look like a pretty pathetic bunch.

Even reading other forums on the subject wouldn't do much to dismiss the impression.
buwhahahhahhahahahaaaa, hypocrite...

If that's in reference to the 30 minutes I mentioned, I was careful to point out that I was talking about machine time to cut the popup and base ONLY. In no way did I insinuate that this was a 30 minute job. No where in this thread did I state that Terry did a bad job, nor did I say that he should have done the mods any differently.

I'm still trying to figure out how you would charge someone 200$ for a job that would take at most an hour to do. Not sure what you are trying to achieve with these jigs and fixtures, but they are a waste of time. Chuck the cylinder in a 4 jaw chuck and dial in the bore and the base, it's really that simple. Deck the base then go in and cut the squish all in one operation.

I paid a dentist $460 for a root canal that took maybe a hour. He must be a crook...

Resources used,

What a crook!

don't forget... he deflashed/minor ported: lower transfers, intake port, and exh port.... [What a crook!] you prob are spot on... since clearly... it's a job any machine shop apprentice could do in an hour or less...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back