Porting, You get what you pay for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
these are my 2 questions that this job brings up....

WARRANTY:

what is covered and what isnt with a ported saw?

this saw had the crank bearings and carb covered in full by "warranty" but the damaged piston and cylinder were "hidden" for a lack of better vocabulary on my part. an uneducated customer listened to an "experienced" builder that it was just a couple scratches that got sanded out and would be fine. In my eyes, on a new saw the P&C need replaced. So if the carb and bearings are covered, why isnt the cylinder also covered since the damage was caused by the bearing failure.
im calling it warranty but i simply dont know if it was the builder eating the cost or working some magic/taking a chance on a factory warranty

Porting value:

for all the porters out there.....

at what point do you change what you charge for porting a saw? I understand some saws require massive amounts of work and some very little but does a cut base and popup really justify $200-300? Is that fair to your customers charging full boat for a job that could be done at home by most guys that have a local machine shop.

Specific to whats in bold... If a guy can cut the base, add a pop-up and blend some of the casting flaws on a saw and make it run as good or possibly better (hypothetically) than the same model saw by another builder that put did port timing/widening, base cutting why shouldnt the first builder be able to charge the same amount as the second builder?? I think its acceptable, its the results that matter.

I am unfamiliar with warranty work... does the warrantied parts have to go back to the factory? I thought the shop makes the call if it is warranty work and they do the work but am unaware if the parts go back to the company. That might help clear things up some.
rarely do parts need to go back. almost always pics need taken of the damaged cylinder...but a damaged cylinder from bearing failure probably would be warrantied without many questions from a reputable dealer or a saw with a bad bottom end and cylinder could have been recalled to the factory and a new saw issued to replace it which would have gotten ugly as the dealer would then have to provide a toasted topend that hadnt been submitted for warranty before or been ported. i got a crankshaft warrantied on a saw once that was a year out of warranty with only a picture of the broken crankshaft...they asked me what condition the rest of the saw was in and approved it. even paid for the shipping of all the parts to repair it.

short version is that if this builder is a dealer or has a good relationship with a dealer the crank bearings and carb could easily be warrantied out with no questions...the cylinder is a different story

that's the point...there was nothing warrantied through the factory. whoever built this saw had to eat the lower end rebuild...he did everything in his power to not eat the top end as well.. my opinion.

rarely do parts need to go back. almost always pics need taken of the damaged cylinder...but a damaged cylinder from bearing failure probably would be warrantied without many questions from a reputable dealer or a saw with a bad bottom end and cylinder could have been recalled to the factory and a new saw issued to replace it which would have gotten ugly as the dealer would then have to provide a toasted topend that hadnt been submitted for warranty before or been ported. i got a crankshaft warrantied on a saw once that was a year out of warranty with only a picture of the broken crankshaft...they asked me what condition the rest of the saw was in and approved it. even paid for the shipping of all the parts to repair it.

short version is that if this builder is a dealer or has a good relationship with a dealer the crank bearings and carb could easily be warrantied out with no questions...the cylinder is a different story

Reminds me of 2 ported saws I had across my bench. Fixing for owners that had only been ported for 6 months. Different saws but similar looking type work. :laughing:

Hmmm I think I might have a pic of the stickers on the saws, shame shame ;). Stickers :laugh:

keep it to yourself. asking honest questions and trying to keep this civil;)

@fordf150
fair enough...this is my reply to shane, which sorted recanted the statement you quoted of mine
true...if the builder is the dealer he could've probably got the lower end covered by the factory warranty... but he wouldn't be able to get the top end warrantied...so I guess that was my point, he would've had to eat the top end...which he obviously didn't want to do and reused the cylinder.

edit: i don't want to delete anything ive wrote because I don't like that... but would rather add here, me saying he obviously didn't want to replace the cylinder was just guessing/conjecture as I don't know what the cylinder looked like when it came in the first time for repair....I apologize for jumping to a conclusion

so youre saying this cylinder could've been warrantied if the builder/dealer took a picture of it? wouldn't the service rep see that it had been modified? or did the bearing failure happen prior to the modifications? im not saying that all parts get called back...or whole saws for that matter...I have 4-5 261's on the shelf that were replaced under warranty, ive only ever had one called back....so far.

Ok guys il let you know why it is what it is. My burr broke so I used my air chisel to finish the rest of the job.. since my lathe blew a crank seal I had to chuck the jug on my low speed 1/2" drill and use a flat file and sheet rock rasp to drop the jug. Like all yall made comments about not having port work on exhaust and transfer ports is cause my arm got tired from filing on the intake so I gave up...
The bearings are from a homelite saw outer race was a Lil small so I took up the gap using industrial heat shrink. I charged 532.71 before tax. That sounds like a good deal right lol

Big issue for me regarding porting, did the buyer get what the builder led him to believe he was getting? $50 or $500 doesn't matter nor does the route to the result, if the builder met the terms of the agreement with the buyer that is what matters to me.
was warranty on a new saw and buyer told "might as well port it at this point" while waiting on warranty parts?
lots of missing pieces, and I am not going to judge based on "some" info
I am very curious that a "real" dealer ports saws of the brand he sells. Modifying a Stihl out of spec will cost you a dealership. I would imagine the others would be similar.

Would someone mind pm'n me the builder, I have a saw that is suspect and haven't had time to look into it for a couple of different reasons.
ask your dealer/builder? if you don't trust him to tell the truth, that might already be the answer you seek :)
no reason to ask others to be underhanded

I think it's crummy to do a halffast callout on a builder. Either name 'em, blame 'em, and let them defend the situation. Or leave it alone. They don't apparently get to/ have to pay a sig sponsor fee here anymore, so let the truth out on both sides. Or don't post a half- smearing "I-know-a-secret" thread.

This thread sucks.

Big issue for me regarding porting, did the buyer get what the builder led him to believe he was getting? $50 or $500 doesn't matter nor does the route to the result, if the builder met the terms of the agreement with the buyer that is what matters to me.
was warranty on a new saw and buyer told "might as well port it at this point" while waiting on warranty parts?
lots of missing pieces, and I am not going to judge based on "some" info
I am very curious that a "real" dealer ports saws of the brand he sells. Modifying a Stihl out of spec will cost you a dealership. I would imagine the others would be similar.
ported before having its first fillup.

I think it's crummy to do a halffast callout on a builder. Either name 'em, blame 'em, and let them defend the situation. Or leave it alone. They don't apparently get to/ have to pay a sig sponsor fee here anymore, so let the truth out on both sides. Or don't post a half- smearing "I-know-a-secret" thread.

This thread sucks.
you dont like the idea of finding out what should be expected on a ported saw? or the warranty on a ported saw?
this one obviously had a limited warranty that covered the bearings and carb but not the cylinder....was this an exception or do other porters cover problems on a brand new saw. If the saw was sold/ported with the NO WARRANTY on modified saws conveyed to the customer and the builder later, out of good faith replaced bearings and carb from his own pocket...wouldnt you like to know if that is common practice for him. I am in the dark on allot of this info myself and my customer is as well...thought this would be a good topic to discuss since the saw came with at least a partial warranty but stopped short of replacing the cylinder....is that not covered? or was it an expensive item the builder just didnt want to pay for out of his pocket? I am leaving builder/owner info out of it because i simply dont have the whole story...i have asked for copies of PM's from the owner but he hasnt been able to locate them.

There are two huge pieces of information missing here. What did the owner pay and did he understand the work that was being done to the saw?

Is it being suggested that it's ok to call this a ported saw and charge $250-$300 for it? My question is NOT to suggest that additional mods are needed or that the saw doesn't run well. That's an entirely different conversation. Isn't it assumed that a ported saw is actually ported and requires the work to do so? I submit that an honest builder would tell you that much less work is required to make this saw run as it should and charge accordingly. To be clear, this is a modified saw, but not a ported saw.

Is it my imagination or have there been an awful lot of “problem ported saw threads that lead to massive butt hurt” recently?? Threads like this are not doing any “porters” any favors. You half to ask the question: Why the heck would you spend good money to modify a perfectly good chainsaw??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKvhVssO348

Specific to whats in bold... If a guy can cut the base, add a pop-up and blend some of the casting flaws on a saw and make it run as good or possibly better (hypothetically) than the same model saw by another builder that put did port timing/widening, base cutting why shouldnt the first builder be able to charge the same amount as the second builder?? I think its acceptable, its the results that matter.

I agree in theory, that effectiveness matter and its great that they cyl and a pop up were cut, but ill say it, that "porting" is un-sat, to me. I think the line blurs from "porting" to "professionalism" or respect for the customer...

From what I've seen these new 2260's are a nightmare to work on so value wise I wouldn't think the standard 200-300 is really out of line. Also, who's to know what fuel has been ran through it and how much grit has been getting past the ****** air filter these things run? Base cut is sloppy surface finish regardless I'd agree.

you dont like... he hasnt been able to locate them...

You want to act like you're exposing some kind of truth(s) here. You know who the builder is, Did you contact him for any info? Is he a well- respected person on the forums or some flash in the pan?

You've stated it's a 2260, and the porter is a dealer. The saw has a popup. That makes me wonder if you're calling out TLandrum, or maybe it's one of Moody's. Or?.. Or?

Maybe the owner burnt the dang thang up on his own, and the porter did him a solid by patching it back up. Maybe somebody else has been in the saw besides you and the porter.

If you're gonna call somebody out, man up and call them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back