POS champion spark plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not going to join in on the spark plug quality issue. Just want to throw out that certain engine operating conditions can lead to a spark plug failure like this. (detonation, for example). So keep an eye on things. Hopefully it was just a defective plug and won't reoccur.

View attachment 262631View attachment 262632I was running my 385 and the the center of the spark plug came loose. Part of the ceramic cone broke off and scored my cylinder. Iam not a happy camper.Note picture taken today date and time wrong on camera
I have had my best luck, with NGK, and Bosch. When I ran dirt bikes we tried every plug under the sun. Durability, I do not know If I ever saw a ngk break, unless smashed or hit by something. Champion I have seen this what you say, happened to us before. Bosch was the hardest to foul, but once we found a heat range, it was NGK, or Bosch many times both. When I see champion, or thats all they have at the shop I worry LOL! Hope it holds up.

A company should stand behind there product.I know a lot of people dont take resposobility for there actions anymore.But right is right and wrong is still wrong.I refuse to do business with companys that dont do the right thing.

My like is that a company should stand behind their product. You cant always refuse businesses that dont do the right thing. They all do it in one way or another. I dont like it you dont like it as with anybody else. But some businesses you cant live without and are at their mercy and they wont change a thing. Go to where you heart feels best in a similar product line

Last edited:
Not going to join in on the spark plug quality issue. Just want to throw out that certain engine operating conditions can lead to a spark plug failure like this. (detonation, for example). So keep an eye on things. Hopefully it was just a defective plug and won't reoccur.

My old NGk never failed under the same conditions. I thought I would change my plug. I thought I was doing my saw a favor by doing maintenance. What a mistake. My local NAPA didnt have the NGK in stock so I went with the Champion. All my other saws same mix same oil no problems

Last edited:
Iam glad I was doing cuts on the ground and not felling. I wouldnt want my saw to puke with questionable amount of tree tons above my head. Especially where saw speeds count to make a safe drop

A company should stand behind there product.I know a lot of people dont take resposobility for there actions anymore.But right is right and wrong is still wrong.I refuse to do business with companys that dont do the right thing.

I hear ya, but giving the man a new plug, which is the most they would do is not nearly enough. $ 2 plug versus $900 saw. Them bastages!

So when the NGK's failed, that were in my snowmobile, should I have gotten on the phone and let them know that I'm in a middle of the forest, 60 miles from my truck and tell them they're responsible for my sled crapping out? No, I put Champions in it and haven't had an issue since, not to mention that includes running Champions in: 5 other sleds, 3 garden tractors, 2 AG tractors, countless chainsaws and every other OPE I own.

NGK's are good for only one thing: garbage.

bob

So when the NGK's failed, that were in my snowmobile, should I have gotten on the phone and let them know that I'm in a middle of the forest, 60 miles from my truck and tell them they're responsible for my sled crapping out? No, I put Champions in it and haven't had an issue since, not to mention that includes running Champions in: 5 other sleds, 3 garden tractors, 2 AG tractors, countless chainsaws and every other OPE I own.

NGK's are good for only one thing: garbage.

bob
really i dont care much what you say champions are junk always have been .atleast since the mid 90s when i started working on engines.also ive ran 385 since they first came out and never had a problem with them till finnally they were shot.

Last edited:
As a stock market trader..I will add this just for what it's worth to readers...

Some time back..Budweiser was the "King of Beers" and ruled the market.

But the older folks in the family died off and left their shares to their children...so more folks involved.

Then to more children...and they wanted more profits and started using less quality ingredients and quality fell.
(they were even using seaweed as part of the mix..for more profit...but "shelf-life" was bad..and Bud buyers stopped buying)

The Busch family just decided to sell the company...(infighting) and they did..now InBev a Belgium/Brazilian company owns Bud
(52 Billion for the company....the heirs should be tarred and feathered and hung for their greed..IMHO..!!)
:cheers:
J2F

That's the biggest bag of BS I've read in quite a while.
The InBev takeover was hostile.
AB had a lot of fat in the company, a lot of it from charitable contributions. AB always contributed to any worthy cause. They had levels of management that were no longer necessary but to keep from laying people off, kept them in place. When InBev took over there was a massive layoff of long time employees.
I don't know of another company that was as dedicated to the communities they served and their employees as AB.
The take over was fueled by greed but that greed was from InBev. They Immediately started scaling back community support and continue to do so. The only thing they care about is taking money out of the business.

I do not in any way want to be involved in a, plug brand A is great, plug brand B is crap discussion, just an observation from some 40+years of chainsaw use. I have used Champion,Lodge, Marchal, NGK, Nippon denso, Bosch, + several makes possibly of Chinese manufacture. In that time I have only suffered 2 premature failures & both have been with NGK plugs, the ceramic insulation around the centre electrode breaking off. As both pugs were from the same box of 10 that I had, I assumed it was a faulty batch. I returned the box of 8 unused + 2 faulty to where I purchased, & after a period of time I was given 2 boxes as a replacement. I have used 5 of the plugs from one of the replacement boxes with no problems, both saws that had problems using the replacement supplied plugs, so I guess my thinking is that no matter what brand you use, it is possible to have or not have problems, so it may be that a brand some guys think [ are the best/ worst] others may or may not have problems with that brand

yep it can and does happen to all brands of plug, just check your plugs for cracks and wear.... replace them before a failure happens

I probably have at least seventy spark plugs in use in everything gasoline powered that I own. I'd estimate that 95% are NGK. Over a period of thirty or more years I've had three spark plugs fail. However, the failure wasn't catastrophic. In each case, the plug simply stopped sparking. Of the three plugs that failed, two were Champions and one was an NGK.

5%(Champions) of 70 is 3.5 spark plugs. Two bad plugs of the three that failed equals 66.6%. Considering that percentage was derived from only 3.5 spark plugs out of 70, the over all failure rate of Champions is astronimical when compared to NGK.

What I don't understand, is why people change perfectly functional spark plugs? If a spark plug is working, shows no outward signs of deterioration or damage, why mess with it?

I've got many NGK plugs well over twenty years old and some even older working just fine in much of my equipment. The spark plugs in my '96 Toyota T100 are all original! They're going on seventeen years old and the truck fires up and runs like the day I bought it. Mileage hasn't changed either.

People seem to be easily mislead by manufacturing ads and salesmen's pitches touting the benefits of new spark plugs. The only benefit I see from changing a perfectly operating spark plug is propping up sales for dealers and manufacturers.

If the plug is working and not falling apart, just pull it occasionally, inspect it, clean it, gap it and put it back.

Modern economics and industry have made us become a wasteful society. It seems many of us have lost our ability to apply a bit of common sense, logic and reason.

The operator's manual says to do it so......
The guy in the store told me to do it so.........
The internet ad says to do it so.....
The TV ads say I should do it so.....

Screw that!

Are you aware that the company that makes champion spark plugs also o makes oil filers? STP, Lee,Valvoline, Pennzoil,just to name a few? Are you aware that many huskies come from the factory with champions installed? My 445 did.It seems as if the baby got thrown out with the bath water.Yes things do happen however, your experience is only a small percent.What about all the people using these plugs for years with know trouble?JMHO, Ken

As an old mopar fan I have a lifetime supply of J11Y and J10Y. Of course these were bought before many of you guys were born.

Of course on old Dodge will run on nearly anything. Give it gas oil and spark,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and plenty of rear tires!

Modern economics and industry have made us become a wasteful society. It seems many of us have lost our ability to apply a bit of common sense, logic and reason.

I agree completely.

When I worked in the automotive industry you repaired most everything. We rebuilt starters, generators, alternators, carburetors,water pumps, engines, transmissions both manual and automatic, brake master, wheel cylinders and calipers. They made starter solenoid repair kits. Ask a parts store today for a caliper kit or a piston or a solenoid repair kit. I can remember relining brake shoes and clutch discs. Try asking for clutch facing today.

There are a lot of part changers in the world today but a good mechanic that can repair things is becoming a dyeing breed.

Later
Dan

That's the biggest bag of BS I've read in quite a while.
The InBev takeover was hostile.
AB had a lot of fat in the company, a lot of it from charitable contributions. AB always contributed to any worthy cause. They had levels of management that were no longer necessary but to keep from laying people off, kept them in place. When InBev took over there was a massive layoff of long time employees.
I don't know of another company that was as dedicated to the communities they served and their employees as AB.
The take over was fueled by greed but that greed was from InBev. They Immediately started scaling back community support and continue to do so. The only thing they care about is taking money out of the business.
The sale of Budweiser (AB) was NOT a true hostile take-over..!!

A true hostile take-over is when a person or company buys a majority of a company's stock (own 51% or more)
and thus controls the company...they buy the shares at the price they are trading at on the stock market.

That's NOT what happened a Bud (AB)..the stock (symbol: BUD) was trading in the low to mid 50's..
InBev offered the Busch family (who owned the 'controlling shares) $65 a share and the Busch family turned it down..!!
Sooo...NO DEAL..!!

Then InBev upped the offer to $70 a share and the Busch family AGREED to the price..soo they could have just said NO again..!!
But they didn't..and decided to just take the offer because not there was some REAL in-family fighting going on BIG-TIME..!!

Once InBev took control..they could do whatever they wanted...and the last of what you wrote is true.
It's a damn shame what happened...BUT again the Busch family could have turned down the $70 per share offer..!!
Maybe InBev would have upped the bid to $75 or $80 or ???...no one knows...or maybe they just back away.....???

InBev wasn't twisting their arm...Sooo...it was the Busch family decision to sell - NOT that InBev bought the controlling
shares on the NYSE at going prices..because they couldn't because the Busch owned the controlling shares........

AND THEY WERE NOT FOR SALE.....!!!!!! - - InBev just made them an offer that they ACCEPTED...!!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Back