POS ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K. thanks. I think the model I am getting will have it anyways, but good to know NOT to use it for cold starts.

my dolmar 5100 has a slight pop on cold choke too. the 361 does about the same thing. maybe i'm used to it but for anyone with saw experiance it's not rocket science

O.K. thanks. I think the model I am getting will have it anyways, but good to know NOT to use it for cold starts.

I always use the decomp and have never flooded my saw once. The pop is easy to identify. A decomp valve is a good thing for both the saw and the sawyer imo and usefull on any +50cc saw with decent compression. Manufacterers install it for some reason.

S.T. that means the pop is more pronounced without using the decomp? Do you not use decomps at all? I wouldn't mind it being a little harder to pull the cord, if it meant a less fool-proof starting procedure.

I guess had the O.P. started without the "P.O.S." title, there'd be more help from Stihl guys and less criticism and offers to buy it for $100 etc. I'm kind of nervous that I'd end up in his situation, looking at buying a nice chainsaw. Whether operator error or otherwise, the more I spend the more disappointed I'd be if I couldn't get it started- but how difficult is this? They give you explicit instructions, right? If I follow them exactly, I'm not going to be one of those 999 guys going back to the dealer with a problem I created? Sometimes this craftsman starts right up, other times I can never get it started, yet I follow their instructions to a t every time (I.E. down to the exact number of bulb mashes, pulls with choke out then in, idle setting, placement, even which hand to use for what etc.), but they for instance don't mention anything about listening for pops. I guess it should be common knowledge, but hopefully the Stihl dealer will go over that for those of us who don't know better.

:dizzy:

On a lot of modern saws you have to open the choke (to "fast idle" position) at the slightest hint the saw wants to start, to avoid flooding.
Generally, waiting for it to make a proper pop (that close the decomp) may lead to flooding.
Never pull more than about 3-4 times on choke, before trying on "fast idle".

Make sure your pulls are snappy, not halv-arsed ones (easy when you drop-start).

It is easier to mess it up when the decomp is used. I really don't know why, but suspect it leads people to not use sufficient force when pulling.....

helllz bellz:monkey: :confused: if this keeps up youz all will owe me a beeeer. i can not help but laugh and spit beeeer when the 361 is mentioned. the old 360 model stihl of my bosses is POS when the boss or the other crew members touch it. it starts right up and cuts all day fer mez because all sawz love me:clap: . the only way i figured out what was making it hard to start was reading all of these laughable problems whith the 361:greenchainsaw:
:cheers: :cheers:

On a lot of modern saws you have to open the choke (to "fast idle" position) at the slightest hint the saw wants to start, to avoid flooding.
Generally, waiting for it to make a proper pop (that close the decomp) may lead to flooding. Never pull more than about 3-4 times on choke, before trying on "fast idle".

Make sure your pulls are snappy, not halv-arsed ones (easy when you drop-start).

It is easier to mess it up when the decomp is used. I really don't know why, but suspect it leads people to not use sufficient force when pulling.....

Will do, thanks!

yesterday was my first time

Flooded the 361 and then they are a pain. Resorted in removing spark plug, dry it out and started immediately.

What i did? Used the decomp on hot saw when showing BIL what the difference is with/without.

Normally i never use the decomp and not once had problems.
As everyone already said,

2-3 times till pop
choke of 2 pulls cold and she starts
Hot only 1/2 pull to get here running

Latest posts

Back