Possible cholosis'ed Ginkgos?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Possible chlorosis'ed Ginkgos?

The ginkos I planted this spring have pale green leaves.

One of the ginkgos leafed out too early in the spring and 99% of its leaves burned off due to frost. The other 1% of the leaves are nicely colored. It leafed out again, but, as I stated, the leaves are pale green. Also, they are smaller than normal.

Is this too early for chlorosis? Again, I just planted them this spring and I don't think the roots would have even gotten outside the root ball yet.

I don't see any infestation.

I mulched them immediately after planting with hardwood mulch. That wasn't holding up as well as I'd like, so I added some wood chips last weekend.

Could it be just all the stress they've been going through?

I've thought about putting down some elemental sulfer, to help the clay soils we have here. How long does it take to get visable results from this?

I have some 30-10-10 azalea fert., would that help the pH, at least in the short term?

If it were too much water, I'd be seeing yellowing leaves, and leaf drop, not just a consistent pale green, right?

I can provide pics if needed, just not today (its raining pretty good).

Last edited:
Forgive my misspelling. I tried to go back and edit it but was unable to.

Here is a good pic that shows the difference in leaf color and size on the same tree.

attachment.php

Back