Possibly Dumb Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
So recently I have rebuilt a few saws and installed new pistons. All the saws run excellent. I have used them a few times but not daily.

Well a few weeks ago, somebody posted up a link to what a used piston should look like when it is burning properly, the gas is mixed properly, etc. See below... Apparently the top brown piston is preferred.
http://www.mmec.net/diagnostic.htm

My question is, three of the saws I recently rebuilt and run look spotless inside, common sense would think that is a good thing, but that link above makes me question it. The piston still looks brand new, there is no discoloration, no carbon, they literally look like brand new pistons. I'm sure after years of running these saws it may start to discolor, but at the moment, there isn't a hint of black or brown.

Now I have only run pre-mixed gas from the small metal containers in these saws. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

But could it mean a lean condition? Or is this normal? Is it optimal?

Again, this may be a stupid question, I would think you would want a spotless piston as a sign that the engine is running clean, but I am still learning 2 strokes, and a few of these saws are too nice to risk.

Thanks

Your plug would be a better indicator of a lean condition.

Or scoring on the sides of the piston and cylinder wall.

I don't think any piston will discolor from a few tanks of fuel.. as mentioned a plug is a great indicator...after a tear down and many tanks of fuel.i would be happy to see a brown piston...

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back