Poulan 2800 - Impressive little saw!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl-Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I finally got all the parts to fix this 2800 Poulan I got about a month ago. I put new mounts in it, rebuilt carb (which was wrong when i got it apart), new lines, new rim sprocket assy, new 16" b&c, added a spike, and did a mild muffler mod. I started on it last night and finished this morning. Just after I took a couple pics of it my buddy calls me up and says he is going cutting, do I want to go. You bet!! So it was a perfect time to try it out. I have to say for only 46cc it was quite impressive and for being the smaller cc's on the frame it is on. My buddy has a makita 6401 and wants to pick up a little smaller saw, so I let him try it out. What a time getting it back from him.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Those were great little saws back then.Once you threw away the 20 in bars.Ive had great luck with the little poulans and poulan pros,with short bars and good chains.Those low kick chains have ruined more "homeowner" saws than anything else.You wouldnt believe the saws I have bought for $20 just because they just wouldnt cut right,and of course it was always the bar and chain.

I finally got all the parts to fix this 2800 Poulan I got about a month ago. I put new mounts in it, rebuilt carb (which was wrong when i got it apart), new lines, new rim sprocket assy, new 16" b&c, added a spike, and did a mild muffler mod. I started on it last night and finished this morning. Just after I took a couple pics of it my buddy calls me up and says he is going cutting, do I want to go. You bet!! So it was a perfect time to try it out. I have to say for only 46cc it was quite impressive and for being the smaller cc's on the frame it is on. My buddy has a makita 6401 and wants to pick up a little smaller saw, so I let him try it out. What a time getting it back from him.

attachment.php

attachment.php

i have allways liked these saws, 2800, 3000, 3300, and the 330's and 380's, they are very good running saws, good luck hanging on to it!:cheers:

Nice saw! I'd like to find one of the earlier ones of that model range. My later 2775 all plastic construction saw is also 46cc, and it cuts very well with 0.325 20BPX chain. I have 20" bar on it and find it pulls it fine. I've been having fun with it in some big fresh red oak.

Stihl-Pioneer I noticed you have a Poulan 3450 and was wondering if you have cut with it and how do you like it. I believe that is a 54cc engine.

The 3450 is a nice saw, I like it. I really like the mag case poulans in the 46 to 60cc. The only thing is to put a reasonable size b&c setup on them for the cc's accordingly.

I have never run the 46cc saw in that series, good to hear the got what it takes.

I also cut some wood today and had my Poulan 3000 running along with my Dolmar 5100. I would tell you how they compare but I dont want to hurt the Dolmar guys feelings. (yet):hmm3grin2orange:

Great saws. Had my 2900 out today and love it. The looks I get when it comes out of the trunk are priceless....and then they see how well they cut.

Must be the weekend to mess with that family of saws! Here's my PP335 I resurrected this weekend.

DSCF3655.jpg

Must be the weekend to mess with that family of saws! Here's my PP335 I resurrected this weekend.

DSCF3655.jpg

That looks like Dolly Partons coat of many colors!

Just kidding though, the PP335 are fine runners, I got one a while back and done the same dual port muffler mod on it that I did with the 3000. Really improves them alot.

That Mac bar is nice as well and a nice option for these saws as the K041 mount bar is the only drawback I can find on this series. Not that the mount is bad, just that the selection of bars in that mount is not very good.

I got a couple extra of those bars if you might need one. I got a 57 DL chain spun up for it, but I think a 58 would be better. The Mac lettering will come off with some carb cleaner, and won't damage the gray paint.
The original starter will get put on eventually. This one is off a 3600, and has the double dogs though.

Last year someone gave me a couple 2800's that were being thrown away. One was complete and I fixed it with a carb kit and fuel line. I gave it to an elderly in-law for firewood work and he likes it better than any other saw he has ever used. The other one is missing the top engine cover and hand guard. I will fix it if I come across the missing parts.

I got a couple extra of those bars if you might need one. I got a 57 DL chain spun up for it, but I think a 58 would be better. The Mac lettering will come off with some carb cleaner, and won't damage the gray paint.
The original starter will get put on eventually. This one is off a 3600, and has the double dogs though.

Your running 3/8's on the 335? Let me know how that works out. I know that .325 came stock on them but I'm sure it will pull 3/8s just fine. I tried 3/8's x 7 and .325 x 8 on my PP365 and couldnt really tell any difference.

Last year someone gave me a couple 2800's that were being thrown away. One was complete and I fixed it with a carb kit and fuel line. I gave it to an elderly in-law for firewood work and he likes it better than any other saw he has ever used. The other one is missing the top engine cover and hand guard. I will fix it if I come across the missing parts.

I'm sure he did like it, these series saws have the best control layout of about any. There balanced well also and are a joy to run.

Your running 3/8's on the 335? Let me know how that works out. I know that .325 came stock on them but I'm sure it will pull 3/8s just fine. I tried 3/8's x 7 and .325 x 8 on my PP365 and couldnt really tell any difference.

No, it's a 16" .325.

I have never run the 46cc saw in that series, good to hear the got what it takes.

I also cut some wood today and had my Poulan 3000 running along with my Dolmar 5100. I would tell you how they compare but I dont want to hurt the Dolmar guys feelings. (yet):hmm3grin2orange:

I'd bet the 3000 isn't stock! Well the 5100 either.:msp_biggrin:
Been gathering a little collection of these myself. When I have time I'm gonna do a little work on one of my 2800's. I have Dolmars!!
Shep

I'd bet the 3000 isn't stock! Well the 5100 either.:msp_biggrin:
Been gathering a little collection of these myself. When I have time I'm gonna do a little work on one of my 2800's. I have Dolmars!!
Shep

The 3000 has a extra port on the muffler, otherwise, its bone stock. I made no secret of that.
The 5100 is stock with a non cat muffler.

What's your point?

Back