Poulan 3400 Oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've had this 3400 for awhile now.. Put Cabers and fuel lines in it and it's running pretty well.

I found a bar that fit it and cut some wood with it. I found out that the oiler is very, very weak. You can pump the manual oiler vigorously for a minute and it will only dribble out a teaspoon of oil that's full of air pockets. The auto oiler doesn't seem to be working at all either.

So I pulled it apart last weekend. Oil pump cavity was absolutely packed with crap. Cleaned it out and pulled the pump.

Here's what I checked:
1. Blew air through the plastic output line, was clear, no holes or cracks that I can tell.
2. Suction line is good, again no cracks, filter is clear.
3. Diaphragm has no holes.
4. Checked intake check valve, working like it should.
5. Tried to apply suction and pressure to output hole, it didn't seem to want to pass either. Not sure how it's supposed to work though.

If I stick the suction hose in a can of diesel and cycle the pump manually it will pump the diesel pretty well. It's still full of air bubbles though.

I am thinking the quad ring on the plunger might not be making a good seal, and it's pulling air past it. How do I get the little plastic cap off the end to remove it?

This is the Poulan that I was trying to sell. I'm very glad that I caught the problem before I sold it to someone. Lesson learned.

I am very interested to see what the cause is. I have one that is doing the same thing. I have not had time to tear into it yet. I did fill the oil tank with some power steering fluid in hopes to swell any o-rings or soften thing up. Not holding my breath that it will help or work. Find out next time I run it.

Back