Poulan 3400 Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawtoter06

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I've got a Poulan 3400 that for some reason idles great but when you try to rev it up it acts like it wants to stall. I've installed new fuel lines and a filter, but that is about all I've done to it. Compression is about 130psi which seems adequate. I noticed on the carb when I adjust the H needle it does not seem to make a difference on the way the saw accelerates. So, I'm not quite sure what I'm dealing with here. Should I rebuild the carb, or is maybe the muffler restricted or is the compression too low. I just need to know where to start investigating. Thanks!

Acceleration:

sawtoter06 said:
Hi all! I've got a Poulan 3400 that for some reason idles great but when you try to rev it up it acts like it wants to stall. I've installed new fuel lines and a filter, but that is about all I've done to it. Compression is about 130psi which seems adequate. I noticed on the carb when I adjust the H needle it does not seem to make a difference on the way the saw accelerates. So, I'm not quite sure what I'm dealing with here. Should I rebuild the carb, or is maybe the muffler restricted or is the compression too low. I just need to know where to start investigating. Thanks!

Hello. what I would try to do first is adjust the idle speed and the L mixture screw. If that doesn't take care of the problem then you may need to check clean and rebuild the carb. Set the Idle speed screw so that the chain is not turning and adjust the L mixture screw so that she idles smoothly. If she still stumbles a bit open the L mixture screw an 1/8th turn and go from there. Lewis Brander

Buy a carb rebuild kit - it will more than likely solve your problem, and if not, at least you rebuilt your carb! I had this happen to me recently on a saw that I was fixing for a friend. Is it spitting fuel out of the exhaust? If so, it is too rich - either way I think your problem is in the carb! Good luck!

Latest posts

Back