Poulan 4218 + 14" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wysiwyg

wysiwyg

ArboristSite Operative
I'd like to put a 14" bar on my Poulan Pro 4218, but can't find what type of bar or number of links is needed. My current bar is 18" with 91vg 62 link chain. I want to keep using the same type of chain. Thanks in advance for any help.

Logjam

Logjam

ArboristSite Member
I think you can look on the oregon website. There you can referance your brand of saw to the desired bar and chain.
Or, see your local dealer. I'm sure they can help.
Otherwise, stay tuned. Someone will give you help on AS
Good Luck

wysiwyg

wysiwyg

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks. I tried the Oregon website earlier but for the 18" bar it told me to use a 66 link 72v for the 18" bar, when the saw came with a 62 link 91vg. Aren't link #'s supposed to be constant for a given brand/length of bar or do they change with chain type? I like the 91vg chain.

wysiwyg

wysiwyg

ArboristSite Operative
Whoops, I just tried the "professional" option on the Oregon selector guide which yielded the results I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Why do you need low kick back. Its just a safety chain with extra ramps to help reduce the chance of kick back. You really dont need it IMO. But you know better then me, your needs.
If you lived closer I would give you a used 14" and a non safety chain to try out. Just hanging around without usage.

scottr
Links

wysiwyg said:
Thanks. I tried the Oregon website earlier but for the 18" bar it told me to use a 66 link 72v for the 18" bar, when the saw came with a 62 link 91vg. Aren't link #'s supposed to be constant for a given brand/length of bar or do they change with chain type? I like the 91vg chain.
wysiwyg , the 66 dl bar that uses 72 chain is a larger (more circumference)18" bar . Does your 4218 have a hole in the front of the bar cover to adapt to a bar adjust screw ?

Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
good catch scott, i forgot all about the intenz bar on the new stuff. Is your INTENZ type bar wy? If so and you dont have the side cover adjustment and no hole for the adjuster screw of the earlier models. You just cut out some choices.

wysiwyg

wysiwyg

ArboristSite Operative
I figured out the Oregon selector right after I posted my original message. I was using the "consumer" option, when I should have been using the "professional" option. Doh!

I've been using low kickback for the 8 years I've owned a saw, it's worked well for me.

wysiwyg

wysiwyg

ArboristSite Operative
It definitely needs 91vg. The 72v was an error because I used the wrong selector on the oregon website. The consumer selector only had "4200", which was the wrong saw (I didn't know that). The professional selector has "4218", which gave the correct part numbers.

Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
If you have the intenze bar or going to a reg bar, try tractor supply company. Wal-mart also carrys poulan or oregon bars and safety chain. But it will cost about $30 total that way. Good luck.

timberrat

timberrat

ArboristSite Operative
bar and chain

:confused:
oregon numbers
for .43 gauge
52 drivers
3/8 pitch
90SG0526 MICRO LITE CHAIN (90SG)
INTENZ BAR # 144MLETO41 MICRO LITE
NON INTENZ 144MCEAO41 MICRO LITE
:confused:
oregon numbers
for .50 gauge
52 drivers
3/8 pitch LOW PROFILE
91PO52G 3/8 LOW PROFILE MICRO LITE CHAIN (91)
INTENZ BAR # 140GREA041 PRO BAR
NON INTENZ 140GREAO41 PRO BAR
:chainsaw:

wysiwyg

wysiwyg

ArboristSite Operative
Scott, if by "bar adjusting screw" you mean the chain tightening screw, and by "bar cover" you mean clutch cover, then "yes". Otherwise, you've lost me....:dizzy: