Poulan 4400 Bar and Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoulanInPA

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Poulan 4400 that runs strong. It came with a 22 inch Windsor bar. I'm finding the need for a bigger bar as I break down large oak rounds. Its just not enough to cut at least 50% through as i work my way around the circumference, leaving about six inches uncut in the middle. I'm thinking 28 inch bar is in order. I am fairly new to chainsaws, so please let me know your recommendations for a bar/chain combo primarily for the purpose of noodling large rounds. Note that I've never run a "big" bar, so if you think I'm getting in over my head, let me know. Thanks!

You need to look and see what size bar studs your 4400 has on it. Most of them came with 5/16" studs but some of the later ones could have come with 3/8's studs.

Ozhoo is correct if yours has 5/16" studs. If you have 3/8's change the last letter and 3 didgets to D196 and that would be what you need in that case.

Thanks for the replies. Just measured the bar and it is indeed 24 inches. So, should I go for a 30 inch bar with a skip chain?

Thanks for the replies. Just measured the bar and it is indeed 24 inches. So, should I go for a 30 inch bar with a skip chain?

That depends on which studs you have. Most days a 28" bar is as long as you will find (from Oregon anyway) in D176 with a 5/16 slot.

If you want to go say either 30 or 32 you will have to use a D009 mount for Husqvarna saws that have a 9mm slot. If you have 3/8's studs its easy just to file the slot from 9mm to 3/8. If you have 5/16" studs you will need stud spacers but going from 5/16" (8mm) to 9mm is a very thin stud spacer. I usually use a 5/16 to 3/8 spacer and just file the 9mm slot to 3/8 anyway.

Be aware that when you go to a D009 Husky bar to your Poulan your chains will want to be 1 drive link less to fit right. In other words a 32" bar that takes 105DL on the Husky will want a 104DL chain on the Poulan.

I will try removing the bar spikes and see if that gets me enough length for now. Regarding a replacement chain for the 24 inch bar...its a Windsor marked with K30T, 5609, 44116 (not sure which ones are applicable). The sprocket tip is SRA-222-AII, 3/8 P. What full chisel or semi-skip chain will fit this? The current chain is a Windsor, but does not have any markings on it.

Latest posts

Back