Poulan 4620AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poulanman99

Reaction score
Anyone tried or know anything about this saw? And not the model with the toolless chain adjuster! I'm staying away from that one!

I run a pp 295 with 20" bar .325 .50 full chisel total chain with a modded muffler. i cut about 2 cords of hard wood (ash,maple oak)a week with this saw and it has never let me down Im not gonna win any races but the saw has served me well and was worth the 50 bucks i paid.

My brother has a green Poulan 2900 and he tells me it is the same saw - at least displacement wise. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

His saw is a good running saw - when I have used it, I was impressed.

Good luck,
Bill

Yeah. That's right.

My dad has a green 2775, the "Poulan Farmhand". His was purchased in May of 2001 and there hasn't been much that has changed since then as far as the actual specs of the saw. It's a nice little saw too, his has cut a ton of wood and it's still running really strong.

The new(er) Poulan Pro saws have a model number that corresponds to their basic specs - the 4620 is a 46cc saw with a 20" bar.

I haven't seen that model (even as a "Pro") with the tooless chain adjuster. I'm pretty sure that the tooless adjuster is just on the smaller saws. The smaller saws would be much better without it quite frankly.

Lowes is selling the 4620 for $199 (not sure about the 4620AV though) and I think you can find them refurbed for around $130 on certain sites.

:)

Hello
I think the PP295/4620 is a good saw. I've used the snot out of mine trying to wear it out. I cut fire wood for 3 different houses for the last four years or so. In any case I have a ton of time on it. Its about due for a new bar and sprocket but otherwise I've never had any real problems with it. Even the oiler has been flawless. I have the 20" bar on it still and even though its optimistic for the power Its still nice to have. I've had the bar buried in ponderosa pine and have run many tankfuls through it wide open cutting huge Elm rounds. Never a problem.

The only really issue is the muffler shield constantly cracks and I have to weld it back together and its in your best interest to reassemble the saw with loctite because alot of the screws vibrate loose. For the money I think it is a great saw. Buy one, muffler mod it and remove the EPA limit caps to adjust the carb and you'll be good to go.

Yeah. That's right.

My dad has a green 2775, the "Poulan Farmhand". His was purchased in May of 2001 and there hasn't been much that has changed since then as far as the actual specs of the saw. It's a nice little saw too, his has cut a ton of wood and it's still running really strong.

The new(er) Poulan Pro saws have a model number that corresponds to their basic specs - the 4620 is a 46cc saw with a 20" bar.

I haven't seen that model (even as a "Pro") with the tooless chain adjuster. I'm pretty sure that the tooless adjuster is just on the smaller saws. The smaller saws would be much better without it quite frankly.

Lowes is selling the 4620 for $199 (not sure about the 4620AV though) and I think you can find them refurbed for around $130 on certain sites.

:)

Lowes is probably selling the 4620AVX tooless, same saw, just tooless.

The 4620 as well as the 4218 are good saws and can be changed to bar nuts if wanted. I would downgrade the bars 2 inches. The biggest problems I have with them are the tight gas, and sometimes oil caps. Oil the shaft on the carb, this can get sticky and prevent starting. Also keep an eye on the oil to the bar.

Lowes is probably selling the 4620AVX
, same saw, just tooless.

The 4620 as well as the 4218 are good saws and can be changed to bar nuts if wanted. I would downgrade the bars 2 inches. The biggest problems I have with them are the tight gas, and sometimes oil caps. Oil the shaft on the carb, this can get sticky and prevent starting. Also keep an eye on the oil to the bar.

is that suppose to be toothless ? never heard the term tooless before

Correction: Tool-less The spell check missed that one, my wife would have been all over it with a slap to the back of the head!

I have one it's going on three years now and no problems other than the Quick chain adjust, I did a home made conversion on mine back to the reg 295 set up and two bar studs. I still have the 20'' bar it came with and run Bailey's .325 skip on it and it pulls it fine,but most of the time the saw see's a 15'' modded husky bar and Wood land Pro .325 It is a been a very reliable saw and lacks no power compared to other 45 cc saw's mind you it has a muffler mod too, all I did was replace the new muffler with a older 295 one for 10.00 bucks and opened the baffle a bit and the outlet I added a extra 5/16th hole. I have herd the oil pump gear can strip easily it's plastic has not happened to me but a new pump is $9.00 CDN I priced one out just in case lol.

I have a PP 4218 and like it! Mine was originally the Tool-less, but I converted it to conventional for less than $10bux! The good thing about these saws are they have an inboard clutch, with the chain brake on the body, so it's just a couple of bar nuts ($1.20) and the cover ($8.00). I also have an Intenz bar on it.... Now I know most people hate them but I LIKE it!! I haven't had any adjustment problems... The reason I like the Intenz bar is: Backup! I'm an aircraft guy by trade and I like my redundancy! The Intenz bar can be used with a chain tensioner, just like a regular bar, but if your chain tensioner breaks or comes apart and pieces are lost, no problem, just use the Intenz feature!

Our local discount house is carrying both the 4620's and the 295's.. 295's are the conventional style, and the 4620's are a mixed bag, some with tool-less and some with conventional.. But if I am not mistaken, the 4620's sport an outboard clutch, so even if you got just a conventional cover, you would have to swap out the chainbrake assy onto the new cover... Shouldn't be too hard if it doesn't cost too much to get a new cover!

I would like to put a spacer under the cover on my 4218, it gets packed with chips when noodling, I noodled some poplar with it (green) and I had to continually clear the discharge chute! Wonder if one of those grey Husky covers with the extra spacing built in, would fit?

A friend of mine is looking into buying one of the 4620's, I told him to look at the 295's instead.. He would like to run an 18" bar on it. The other good thing is that all my bars are now the 041 style mounts, so I could theoretically put any of my bars on any of my saws!

Here's a question though, will 3/8 lo-pro work on my 330 sprocket? It wears regular 3/8 ths chain, but are the drivers the same/can the lo pro be used on the 330 sprocket as well? I know lo-pro is only meant for up to 18" bars, but I think my 18" bar with lo-pro on the 330 would be a hoot to run! Looking at the new 91VXL chain for the 4120 and some LGX for the 330.

:cheers:

Old51AVE :greenchainsaw:

I have one it's going on three years now and no problems other than the Quick chain adjust, I did a home made conversion on mine back to the reg 295 set up and two bar studs. I still have the 20'' bar it came with and run Bailey's .325 skip on it and it pulls it fine,but most of the time the saw see's a 15'' modded husky bar and Wood land Pro .325 It is a been a very reliable saw and lacks no power compared to other 45 cc saw's mind you it has a muffler mod too, all I did was replace the new muffler with a older 295 one for 10.00 bucks and opened the baffle a bit and the outlet I added a extra 5/16th hole. I have herd the oil pump gear can strip easily it's plastic has not happened to me but a new pump is $9.00 CDN I priced one out just in case lol.

Austin,
I saw your conversion in another thread. Looks good - question, how did you drill that second hole? I was thinking a forstner bit in press, but thought Id see what you used before i reinvented the wheel. You have to first cut through that "rim" of plastic so it seems to me it would have to be a forstner or a hole-saw and without a press would be a dicey situation...

If you buy this saw either file the depth gages down a little to .028 or .030 cause I thought my saw was a pooch even freshly sharpened till I ordered two WOODLANDPRO 20" (.325 X .050) 20RC 78 they don't have the safety bs that some people probably need but when I put one of these on I cut twice as fast through everything.
I was very surprised at the performance I got out of just a better chain it was like comparing a dull chain to a sharp one even though they were both sharp, just somethin that helped me out! Next I need to muffler mod it! :chainsawguy:

Poulan 4620 avx

ok i need some info,i have learned a lot from this site,i just purchased 4 4620 avx saws new for less than 400.00 cant beat that,and they are not hot, but i need to know a part number to change them over to a manual adjust cover with out the chainbrake,also i need to know what i have to do to modify the muffler,i would appriciate any help:greenchainsaw:

Welcome to A.S., hunter0182!

Go to www.poulanpro.com Customer Support, User Manuals, Archived Manuals, and input your saw: pp4620 or just 4620 or look under 295 which is the same saw with a few differences...

I got my 4218 with the tool-less and switched it over, inboard clutch, so it only cost $6 for the cover and a few cents for the nuts!! Yours has the outboard clutch, so you might be able to get just the cover and put all your brake components in the new cover... If you do, be careful with the brake spring/assy it's under allot of tension if you don't relieve it!

I just finished building a 4620 for a friend, we went with a 18" Oregon Microlite .325 set up (modified small husky mount) Oregon rim and drum drive and modded the muffler and carb so it can be adjusted easily, all for $120cdn!
If you don't want to pull the muffler apart, get the one for a 295 (same basic saw) they come apart to make cleaning (and modding) easy and cost less than 10bux!

Old51AVE :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
poulan 4620

Anyone tried or know anything about this saw? And not the model with the toolless chain adjuster! I'm staying away from that one!

i have 8 of them now,4 i have not used yet,4 i have changed the mufflers on to a 295 muffler and modified it,changed the side clutch cover to a manual cover without the chainbrake and readjusted the carb,left two with 20in bars and 6 with 18inch bars,and they run like a bat out of hell with the mods,the last two i got from a guy in louisana new for 100.00 ,said they had been in water but were all checked out ,they run fine,came with out bars chains box,manuals,everyone has complained about the toolless adjuster.:greenchainsaw:

i have 8 of them now,4 i have not used yet,4 i have changed the mufflers on to a 295 muffler and modified it,changed the side clutch cover to a manual cover without the chainbrake and readjusted the carb,left two with 20in bars and 6 with 18inch bars,and they run like a bat out of hell with the mods,the last two i got from a guy in louisana new for 100.00 ,said they had been in water but were all checked out ,they run fine,came with out bars chains box,manuals,everyone has complained about the toolless adjuster.:greenchainsaw:

Why would you not want a chainbrake?

Back