Poulan 5020 vs 3400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee, except for the bar length and the name...that is a pretty apples--oranges comparison.

Metal case, pre-chain-brake, old saw. Maybe with a lot of old rubber parts.
Plastic, clamshell, Walmart new saw.

What's "better"? Depends on how you will use it, and your tolerance for either (1) fixing broken new plastic stuff, or (2) replacing old rubber parts (seals, hoses, and such).

I started cutting with no-chain-brake saws (and, manual oilers), but would not want one today.

Roy

Owned both. No brainer. 50cc plastic clamshell saw compared to a mag cased 56cc.

3400 better saw in cut and build. Heck one in pic sold for 50 PHO.

But a 5020 new for 165 to your door isnt bad at all. Best bang for the buck out there new.

p5020.jpgp3400z.jpg

When the Poulan 3400 first came out or close to that a guy that had a gas station by where I worked was starting a dealership and he had just gotten 2 ,3400 and 1 ,3700 I bought the 3400 cuz I didn't have the money for the 3700 ,poor. When I went home I told my neighbor about it and he went and bought the 3700. We are still neighbors and we both have the saws and they run. Not bad for a 40 plus year old saw. You can add me to the 3400 is way better than what ever.

I have a 3400 that was flooded with brackish water 2 years prior. It was seized. I pulled it apart cleaned corrosion out, put new rings in it, new fuel lines, air filter and a carb rebuild. It runs great and hands down is way more reliable and powerful than any new Chinese Poulan I’ve ever had. In my opinion those new ones are throw away saws. I just had to get used to the manual oiler.

3400 in a heartbeat
About the best saw value out there imho
$50-100 for a mag cased 56cc saw that still runs great 40 years later
and they do have an auto oiler as well as manual - just might need to fix it

Back