poulan pole saw muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyrooster

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well today I mowed the lawn then got out the craftsman convertible weed eater and finnished up doing the edging. It is the same power head as the poulan pro 446t I beleave. Its 31cc's. I bought it new off ebay last year as a weedeater then purchased a homelite polesaw attachment with a 10 in. bar. The thing has always been cold natured and had to let it run a few minutes to take gas very well. I decided to tear into it and see how hard it would be to open up the muffler and see if I could get it to run better and help the performance a little bit. the muffler is made in two peices and crimped together in the middle with a back half bolting to the saw and the front half which is crimped to the back half. there is a deflector which is held on the muffler with 2 phillips screws with a screen behind it. it only had a slit made in it that resembles a coin slot in a piggy bank and the same thing behind the deflector in the muffler. After removing the muffler I uncrimped it with a straight screw driver and needle nosed plyers. after popping off the front of the muffler i found out there was a cat converter sandwiched between the two halves. I popped it out and removed it and put the two halves back together. I then got out the dremel with my trusty little cutoff wheel and opened up the muffler and deflector to about the same size as the exhaust opening in the jug . after putting it all back together i reassembled everything and fired it up. Big difference in sound ,it now sounds like a chainsaw instead of the doggie sounding weedeater it was before. it starts cold in two pulls and takes gas like nobodys bussiness. Being cold natured is a thing of the past. I know its not as good as your stihl,husqvarna or echo pole saws but im a homeowner that rarely as a big need for a polesaw. 99% of the time I use it for a weedeater and it is doing the job and I got less than $135.00 total invested. If you have one of these I say it worth the effort to do the mod to the muffler, I know it really woke mine up. Rick!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back