Poulan PP338 pole saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning all, I am new here and hope I am posting this in the right forum. If not, please advise or move as necessary.
My problem: I have a Poulan PP338 pole saw (2 yrs old) that I was using and it simply quit running. Would not start and will not start.
What I have done so far: Checked for spark- it's great; changed the spark plug anyway. Replaced all fuel lines, filter and primer bulb; replaced the carburetor (the one that was on it was less than 6 months old however) and also replaced the upper boot. I am presently soaking the muffler in carburetor cleaner thinking there may be an air/exhaust flow problem.
I will reassemble it today, time permitting and try it again. Should that fix it, I will let everyone know as that might help someone else having the same problem.
Is there anything that anyone may know of, or about, that I am missing?
Any ideas or knowledge that someone might have would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, OT NKY

Have you checked compression?
Also, there is a chainsaw forum down lower where all the Gearheads hang out.
Thanks for the reply Jolly, I failed to list that on things I have done. Yes, it is excellent. The saw is only 2 years old and maybe used about a dozen times. I had a problem about 6 months ago and changed out the upper boot and replaced the carb at the same time. It has run fine ever since until now.
The gas here in KY is really bad and the ethanol blend tends to gum everything up. It has great spark, getting fuel, and compression is good. Right now I am leaning towards the muffler. I will know tomorrow. Letting that thing soak for now. Thanks again for the reply.
OT NKY
Forgot to mention, I posted here because I thought the chainsaw forums were strictly for chainsaws.

Thanks for the reply Jolly, I failed to list that on things I have done. Yes, it is excellent. The saw is only 2 years old and maybe used about a dozen times. I had a problem about 6 months ago and changed out the upper boot and replaced the carb at the same time. It has run fine ever since until now.
The gas here in KY is really bad and the ethanol blend tends to gum everything up. It has great spark, getting fuel, and compression is good. Right now I am leaning towards the muffler. I will know tomorrow. Letting that thing soak for now. Thanks again for the reply.
OT NKY
Forgot to mention, I posted here because I thought the chainsaw forums were strictly for chainsaws.
If you are only using it that rarely, I have to go with the ethanol Gumming something up. The premixed Trufuel or other brand really is worth it for an occasional use piece of equipment.

I would check the screen in the muffler for carbon. If that screen is clogged the engine can't breathe and it will either bog down or refuse to run.
There should be a screen right at the exhaust outlet. There is usually a metal cover over the screen and you can remove the screen cover after removing the screw that holds the cover in place. Then you pull the screen out and inspect it for carbon buildup. If it is clogged with carbon, hold it in a pair of pliers and heat it with a torch until it glows orange. That will get rid of all the carbon. After it cools, reinstall it.

You may have also mis-routed the fuel lines when you replaced them. The primer bulb is supposed to suck fuel thru the carb and push it into the tank, not push fuel from the tank into the carb. Kind of the opposite of what logic might tell you it should do. But if it didn't run before you replaced the fuel lines, that's probably not it.

I would check the screen in the muffler for carbon. If that screen is clogged the engine can't breathe and it will either bog down or refuse to run.
There should be a screen right at the exhaust outlet. There is usually a metal cover over the screen and you can remove the screen cover after removing the screw that holds the cover in place. Then you pull the screen out and inspect it for carbon buildup. If it is clogged with carbon, hold it in a pair of pliers and heat it with a torch until it glows orange. That will get rid of all the carbon. After it cools, reinstall it.

You may have also mis-routed the fuel lines when you replaced them. The primer bulb is supposed to suck fuel thru the carb and push it into the tank, not push fuel from the tank into the carb. Kind of the opposite of what logic might tell you it should do. But if it didn't run before you replaced the fuel lines, that's probably not it.
BINGO! Thanks Dboyd. I double checked the lines and bingo! Had two reversed. Tank line going to primer bulb rather than the carb. All back together and running great. I do believe that cleaning (soaking in carb cleaner) the muffler has improved performance greatly. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Now back to limbing some scrubs
OT NKY

Latest posts

Back