Poulan Pro 295 - Trigger Assy Issue. Video Included

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAK3CAL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey folks,
Been working on my uncles old PP295. This is my first time ever working on a chainsaw. I was able to replace the carb, filters, fuel line, etc to help improve its running condition. However, in doing this I disassembled the trigger assembly and for the like of me cannot figure out how it will go back together. I am sure this is the easiest thing, but I am a complete novice. I found the manual and Clymer through this site... but they don't even mention it or show how it is assembled.
I filmed a video to detail where I'm at and whats going on, if anyone has a few minutes to help a new guy. I love this saw and I am so close to firing her back up... would hate to see it fall apart now because of a few pieces of plastic!
Thanks in advance for any guidance. Video is hosted on Youtube HERE

Hey folks,
Been working on my uncles old PP295. This is my first time ever working on a chainsaw. I was able to replace the carb, filters, fuel line, etc to help improve its running condition. However, in doing this I disassembled the trigger assembly and for the like of me cannot figure out how it will go back together. I am sure this is the easiest thing, but I am a complete novice. I found the manual and Clymer through this site... but they don't even mention it or show how it is assembled.
I filmed a video to detail where I'm at and whats going on, if anyone has a few minutes to help a new guy. I love this saw and I am so close to firing her back up... would hate to see it fall apart now because of a few pieces of plastic!
Thanks in advance for any guidance. Video is hosted on Youtube HERE
Put the clutch side of the rear handle on first.

The cable sheath is indexed at the front of the handle and the end of the cable indexes into a recess. Then the trigger and lock goes in the handle.

The trigger pulls the cable like you would pull a bow string.

Clear?

Put the clutch side of the rear handle on first.

The cable sheath is indexed at the front of the handle and the end of the cable indexes into a recess. Then the trigger and lock goes in the handle.

The trigger pulls the cable like you would pull a bow string.

Clear?
Not particularly but I appreciate the guidance; yes I understand the two locations the sheathing and cable are pinned in place but the cable itself must need to be routed somehow and i see no logical way this would occur in my handles design

Not particularly but I appreciate the guidance; yes I understand the two locations the sheathing and cable are pinned in place but the cable itself must need to be routed somehow and i see no logical way this would occur in my handles design
Specifically what are you unclear about?

let me upload a more clear photo.. the way the trigger sits, it hinders the route of the cable? It also looks like it should follow this U shaped channel that redirects it back towards the saw body but then i dont understand how it runs to the final pin

Have you mounted the clutch side rear handle?
Finally got around to it, life with kids :) not as much time to wrench. I’ll include some pictures and links.

IMG_8196.jpg
IMG_8197.jpgIMG_8198.jpgIMG_8199.jpg

I got the handle back together, and working (or so I thought) and then connected to and attached all the saw parts. It’s a real PITA to be honest hooking the new carb back up. I got the trigger and handle to function and pull the throttle cable before I attached it. Once I attached to the carb, I noticed depressing the trigger is moving the throttle cable in but not enough to work the butterfly valve. It’s an identical carb and the metal throttle line hasn’t changed length, which makes me think there’s a routing component I’ve missed somewhere. Perhaps the c shaped cutout in the handle?

A video describing that is linked HERE

A video showing her firing back up for the first time is linked HERE. (I'm adjusting the butterfly with a screwdriver as the throttle isn't doing anything)

I was able to fire up the saw for the first time since tearing apart and she started right up and sounds great, so im very hopeful if I can just sort this out. I should've checked compression before tearing apart and I failed too so I was worried she was cooked.

Thanks in advance for any advice, folks

Hello JAK3CAL , if I remember correctly the throttle cable fits (snaps) in a channel on the bottom of the carburetor adapter . The carb adapter is item 30 in the IPL for the type 4 PP295 .
hmm ill have to take it apart and look again, there is a little circular channel at the bottom of Part #35 (Air Filter) off the IPL... but I don't recall anything on the Carb Adapter (#30). Its also situated behind the carb, so I think I'm having trouble visualizing how this would open the butterfly valve

Hello JAK3CAL , if I remember correctly the throttle cable fits (snaps) in a channel on the bottom of the carburetor adapter . The carb adapter is item 30 in the IPL for the type 4 PP295 .
I found a nice image of one actually; I dont see where the cable would route through. Its part #530053396 as seen on this ebay listing

Now this is a slightly different part number, but essentially identical to my air filter assy and you can clearly see the cable routing channel at the bottom of the component. As seen on this ebay listing

JAK3Cal , my pp295 is a earlier 2001 model year but the cable routing is probably similar . The cable runs forward of the cable grommet under the carb area where it turns left back around to the bottom of the air filter bottom where it is held . Then the wire turns to go to the carb linkage .

JAK3Cal , my pp295 is a earlier 2001 model year but the cable routing is probably similar . The cable runs forward of the cable grommet under the carb area where it turns left back around to the bottom of the air filter bottom where it is held . Then the wire turns to go to the carb linkage .
OK maybe thats where I goofed. I came straight in from the trigger handle, through the rubber grommet and tried to feed directly through the air filter channel. I didn't run under the carb area at all

In one of your videos I saw the throttle cable loop going vertical when it is suppose to go horizontal .
I knew it wasn't suppose to go vertical but had to go look at it to explain it .
Ya there was some excess I just kind of pushed in there and it naturally stood vertically (sitting directly in front of the air filter). I agree, it felt very wrong but I just couldn't recall how it was when I tore it down

Back