Poulan Pro 5020 Switch Binding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FineFirewood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need a little help from the gurus!

I have a Poulan Pro 5020 that I've replaced the piston/ring due to a ring seize (my fault...don't ask!) and I have it running like a top now. Learned a lot in the process, so not all was lost and it only cost me $8.

Problem is when I put the carb and air filter housing together and cinch it up, the kill switch and choke bind. They are cocked to the left (when looking from the handle end of the saw) forcing the switch/choke crooked. It doesn't seem to have any play for adjustment as it only goes together one way with no slack. Any ideas of what I'm missing? Most likely something stupid, but I've already cooked and eaten enough crow during this project that I have a taste for it!

Thanks for any/all help.

Here are a couple of pics. As you can see, the choke lever is crooked causing the bind. One is with the choke open, the other closed.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Switch1.jpg
    Switch1.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Switch2.jpg
    Switch2.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 21
is the lever itself twisted from heat or somthing? Is it hard to move in and out? Does the top cover fit ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not twisted from heat. Before I tighten the carb mounting nuts all the way, it moves freely. The last 2 turns on the nuts pulls the whole thing to the side causing the bind. I thought something was getting pinched on the opposite side, but there is nothing. All gaskets are in place and not pinched as well.

It is difficult, though not impossible, to move in and out when everything is cinched up.

The top cover goes on OK since the cutout for the switches seem to be large enough.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the choke rod hook out. Hopefully it's something that simple!

I'm slaving away at the salt mine, so I won't be able to check it until tonight, but I'll provide more pics and let you know what I find.

If anyone has any other recommendations, I'll check those out too.

Thanks for all the help. It's a great little saw and runs good now, just a little annoyed with the choke/kill switches!

Woke up with the flu Saturday morning, so I haven't been able to get out to the shed to take pics yet. I went out for a minute yesterday and saw 2 saws, so I figured it wasn't the best time to be messing with it!! Today's the first day I've been able to stay upright for more than a few minutes, so hopefully I'll be able to get out there soon.

Thanks for checking up on the issue! I'll give more info and pics when able.

So, I figured out the issue, in the "I'm An Idiot" manual, page 32, section "Stop Over Thinking"!!

When lining up the choke rod with the kill switch, I ASSUMED tab "A" on the switch went into slot "B" on the rod...WRONG!!!

First picture is the way I was assembling it, second is correct.

Color me stupid and pass the next plate of crow!

Thanks for all the help. Great place to get some sound advice!

Attachments

• Wrong.jpg
    Wrong.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 10
Ya that would do it! Glad u figured it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back